1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday Or Tomorrow Or Today Or Name The Day?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Does your paper use "yesterday" and "today" or does it name the actual day of the week in stories?

For example:

The Dodgers play the Mets tomorrow? Or, the Dodgers play the Mets on Thursday?

I've dealt with both and prefer the actual name of the day because then the story can be read at any point and make sense without looking at the date in the folio.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Re: Yesterday Or Today Or Name The Day?

Day of the week unless it's the day of publication - at which point it's today.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm answering only that it might be mildly interesting, not that it's particularly relevant to you, but at our place, it's always the day of the week, with some very narrow exceptions for ongoing events. Reason being, even though it's Wednesday here, it might be Thursday (and not the same "today" as ours) in another part of the world where somebody might be reading.

More relevant to print is it might be easier to go that way for any newspaper with a website for the exact same reason(s).

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We use "today" but not "yesterday" or "tomorrow" at my shop. I wish we'd use day of the week all the time - makes things a little clearer in the days after events.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

We use today and day names for print, names of the day online, and never use yesterday or tomorrow.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Generally named the day of the week since part of the paper came out on Wednesday and the other part came out Thursday.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We use today for events taking place on those publication days.

For games the night before, we always spell out the day. Never use yesterday, last night or tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted