1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday is no more; Today and Tomorrow, too.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, May 3, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The sun will come out on May 4th.

May 2 all my troubles seem so far away. May 3 it looks like they are here to stay. Oh I believe in May 2.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Have never used yesterday or tomorrow. Today is fair game.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Always hate using today. Perhaps that's because I have to edit postgame quotes to reflect that, and that annoys me, but whatever.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In most online stories, that post date is in tiny font, somewhere way off the page.

There was a whole thing last year where a bunch of people got annoyed at some Muslim group in Houston for hosting a Six Flags day on Sept. 11. Except they'd misinterpreted the online story, and the event was actually Sept. 4.

If you want to use yesterday/today/tomorrow, you're basically saying you don't want people to use your online archive of stories.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

exactly

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Online? In a newspaper, "today" is fine. The newspaper goes in the trash by the end of the day. Online stories last forever. A large percentage of your total readership comes after "today." That's particularly true for any story posted after 5 p.m. Don't make them use the time stamp.

7. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to readers, but I've never been confused going back and looking at a story written months ago that uses today. It would bug me if there was no time stamp on it, though. As long as the time stamp isn't invisible, I don't see using today as a big issue.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Our paper switched a while back...then a few weeks ago, we went back to using "today", but regular day names any other time.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

So do both Who and What have split personalities and think they're also the catcher and pitcher, respectively?

Draft saved Draft deleted