1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yesterday is no more; Today and Tomorrow, too.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, May 3, 2012.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yesterday could be yesterday, last week or 943 days ago. Use a date.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've never used yesterday or tomorrow, but always today. I can understand the move to better serve the online format, but I'm not sure I like doing away today. Most if not all online stories come with a posted tine and date to give clarity to it's publication date. Using today I think gives better context to a story, especially a fresh one. If they're concerned about some one digging in the archives or come across the story on google or another website, how did they deal with people picking up an old copy of the Boston Globe prior to the digital age?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The issue with "today" comes that the editors must remember to change it to either "tomorrow" or "Friday" (in today's case) for the online posting, assuming the story is posted during the day before it runs in the newspaper.

5. Isn't AP style not to use yesterday or tomorrow? Assuming Boston Globe doesn't go by AP, just trying to make sure it hasn't changed since I learned it that way.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Associated Press doesn't use today, either.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But the most important question is ... is Who still on first?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Who is so Yesterday, but What is Tomorrow?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Does this mean all those athletes and coaches were right? There is no tomorrow?

10. Well what do ya know, journalism school taught me that wrong. Thanks for the heads up.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not if it is in a paper dated May 4, 2012.

That said, I completely understand why they did this.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a recent change. I'm still old school and prefer using "today" but definitely not tomorrow and yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted