1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, tooting of one's alma mater's horn is in order here

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

He did.

A fast -- and generally unknown fact -- is that his older brother, Chris, played for some great UC Riverside teams at the same time in the late 80s. He was the conference player of the year the year I covered him.

I wrote one of the best stories I ever wrote on the two of them. Interviewed them at a Mexican restaurant in Placentia, not a mile from the Fullerton campus. Got a job interview out of that story on my honeymoon because one editor saw the story at an APSE workshop and asked my asst. editor about it.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As the husband of a CSUF alum and the stepdad of a future alum, I have to point out I'm the only one of the three of us who (a) knew the Titans were in the Basketball and not the Baseball tourney and (b) am the only one who knew they had a team.

Sorry, Bird.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

OK, why am I relegated to my computer to see the Titans leave it all on the court against a much taller Wisconsin team (I haven't seen Fullerton get a rebound in 10 minutes) while my CBS television screen insists on staying with a 30-point UCLA dismantling that hasn't been close since the opening tip?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because you're in SoCal territory.
    Hell, the games were such crap at the Pepsi Center -- I think the drive through Nebraska would have been better -- that they had the Titans on in the concourse for a while.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You do the logical and sensible thing for an entertainment corporation -- you switch to the more entertaining game.

That UCLA game was an abomination.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol,Birdscribe, the game was shown in it's entirety on Channel 56. It was great.

Leave it to a Fullerton alum to not know what channel their once-in-a-generation game is on. :)

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And leave it to a Long Beach alum to not think it through that KDOC isn't available on every cable outlet, not to mention DirecTV ;)

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched it on Direct TV. In fact, I think I just punched in "56".

Leave it to a Fullerton alum to not be able to afford the $5.99 local channel bill per month. :)

Hopefully, you can get this straightened out by 2038, when CSUF next makes the tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted