1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YES!!!! Time to break out the greatest cliche ledes ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 30, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The text of an e-mail sent from a high school sports editor I know to his staff today:

No Halloween ledes this weekend, please.
    Let's be a little more creative and original than that.

I considered threatening physical harm but figured I'd try to be nice for a change.
    And it actually worked

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Now u no y im not.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A line I actually used once ... schools changed to protect the innocent:

Wherever the party was, it sure didn't have much competition from the game. And, if some little goblin managed to spike the apple cider, then it would have had more punch than City High on Friday night ...

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I used to tell my stringers that if I ever got a Halloween or Friday the 13th lede from them, they would never write for me again.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Use a St. Patrick's Day lede. Nobody will see it coming.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Wow, and I just told my writers it was a fireable offense.

Never thought to go all Jigsaw on them, though it is in keeping with the season.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I had this same problem with everyone using Rosh Hashanah ledes. Oy.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The apples and honey were sweet, but the game was sour. If last night's season opener was any indication, it will not be a happy new year for Einstein High.

9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Christmas came early ...

10. All Hallow's Eve couldn't spook Salem High quarterback Jimmy Bumblefuck as he threw for 317 yards and four touchdowns in the Executioners' 36-17 win over Podunk High at Hocus Pocus Stadium on Saturday.
    Bumblefuck, whose favorite Halloween candy is anything with roofies, pushed Salem out to a quick 24-7 lead by halftime, making the Pussbags wish it was All-Saints Day.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The Podunk Giants weren't fucked wearing a devil costume Saturday, but it was still a successful night at WTF Fieldhouse ... [/crossthreading]

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jigsaw makes them chop their own finger off.

Draft saved Draft deleted