1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, there's a test for HGH now. British rugby pro didn't know, either

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Terry Newton of the British club Wakefield tests positive for HGH, cut from team, banned, finally admits to it after all that happened to him. First athlete to test positive for HGH.

http://tr.im/Pp5B (Yahoo Sports link)

Interesting implications from that, I think.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm sure Major League Baseball and the players union will cooperate together and move swiftly to get a testing system in place to catch all of the cheaters and clean up the game.
  3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Wasn't he in that movie Injectus?
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Good one.
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That seemed like a total propaganda piece for the WADA.

There are thousands of athletes using HGH. Start catching more than one and I'll start being impressed.
  6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Roger Goodell, you're on line one. Or you should be.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Albert's hat size lost a quarter-inch and he doesn't know why.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. What nobody ever explains is that WADA is a business that very much wants major professional sports as clients. All of these so-called experts (Pound, Tygart, Wadler, etc.) are part of a business that benefits from their frequent and breathless yelps in the media. It's their way of drumming up business.

WADA has been doing blood testing for HGH for what, five or six years? And they finally have a positive? Wow.

I'd like to know how many tests have been conducted and at what cost to finally get this one guy. How close to competition does one need to take blood? How soon following the actual HGH use does someone need to be tested? What kind of equipment and technical service would be necessary on site?

And here's a very telling paragraph from the NY Daily News story:

"The way we carry out testing is very much based on target testing, suspicion or intelligence that an athlete might have been taking or abusing substances that they shouldn't be," the spokeswoman said. "One athlete could be tested five times, another athlete might not be tested."

In other words, this guy was apparently caught through spying just as much as technology. What ever happened to "random" testing? Now all of a sudden we're asked to believe it's OK to skip past that pesky probable cause to target specific people for illegal drug use?

The likely truth is that this positive would not come up in random testing because of the small window required in HGH testing.
  9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not real rugby, just rugby league.
  10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Okay, I didn't laugh, but I definitely smiled for quite awhile. Well done.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

WADA is an independent agency, not a for-profit business. I's board is comprised of IOC representatives and public authorities from countries around the world, including Sweden, Belgium, France, Serbia, and ministers of government agencies from places including Uganda, Camaroon, Mozambique, Mexico, Canada, Argentina, Jordan, Malaysia, China, New Zealand, etc.

You always try to discredit anti-doping agencies and maybe they deserve it. But your attacks always have that added ad hominem element -- like you are harboring some agenda of your own.

Of course WADA wants pro sports leagues to get on board with its agenda. It's an anti-doping agency and pro sports leagues have by and large not been vigilant when it comes to doping and performance-enhancing drug usage.

Argue about whether anti-doping should be a priority or not, but WADA is just doing what the agency was set up to do. Characterizing WADA as a business trying to drum up clientelle is like saying the UN is a business trying to get the world's countries on board with its peacekeeping missions. That's what they do. If you have a problem with the mission, why not just address that instead of stretching for an odd characterization like that?
  12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Apparently baseball is taking the first step: minor league HGH testing

Time for Goodell and his boys to step up and do something, as well.
Draft saved Draft deleted