1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, I'm d_bing this: BYH Classic's 1st 24 hours of MTV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Aug 6, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know there was a thread about this last weekend, but I was away and didn't read it and didn't feel like being That Guy who digs thru several pages to revive a week-old thread.

This has been fun, watching a station that shows only music videos. What a concept. Someone should try this for real (not pho real).

Apparently, the first day only consisted of 85 videos, 15 of which were by Rod Stewart. Gee, thanks Rod, for forever capturing your late '70s suckiness, over and over and over again.

I'm starting to think, as I watch "Ridin The Storm Out," that REO Speedwagon accounted for the other 70 videos.

Some classic cheese here, including Andrew Gold's "Thank You For Being A Friend" and Cliff Richard's "We Don't Talk Anymore." You know why you don't talk anymore Cliff? Because you think dry ice is cool. And somewhere on the six hours I recorded earlier tonight I have Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street," which is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Some complaints: Almost no original VJ footage. Lynn Hoffman fills my mind with impure thoughts (even when she looks as if she's just overdosed on Botox) but I could do without her odes to MTV (with no apparent sense of irony, she lauded the station's role in introducing reality TV to the masses) in favor of seeing more Martha Quinn. Alan Hunter, Mark Goodman, JJ Jackson (RIP) and even that annoying twit Nina Blackwood.

Alas, as of 9 am today, the Classic goes back to serving as the dumping ground for VH-1's garbage. Sigh.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

BYH, my fellow child of the '80s, I'm with you on this one. Check out YouTube to find some of those videos you speak of.

Taped the VH-1 Classic special when it was first on, expecting a complete rebroadcast of MTV's first day (at least that's what the press release led me to believe). Disappointed that it was a reconstruction, not a re-airing. Didn't keep the taping -- I deleted it from my DVD recorder hard drive. It was neat to see the old videos, though.

I mean, literally, the last time I saw the video for "Caught Up In You" by .38 Special, it was probably in 1982, sixth grade, when my family was one of the few in the neighborhood lucky enough to have cable. Two friends of mine would regularly come over before school, and we'd watch MTV from 7:30-8:30 a.m. before we had to leave -- and then for at least an hour after school.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hopefully, MTV will release a worthwhile DVD package of the first day.

I only watched any of this (the last half hour) because of this d_b.

Thanks, Neutered,

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Chissakes....

The REO comment is right fucking on.

Take It Up The Bum is their second song in 25 minutes.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The recycle of MTV's first day gave Ph.D its first airplay since ... well, since MTV's first day.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

LITTLE SUSIE'S ON THE UP!

CHOPPIN' BROCCOLI!

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Can we approximate when the anti-video movement began on said "video" channels?

Many mention "The Real World" or even "Remote Control" for ushering in programs that had little to do with, you know, music.

Personally, I put much of the blame -- at least regarding MTV -- on the craptastic "TRL." While they countdown videos (so I've heard ;)), it's rare to see one in its entirerity. The show's more a vehicle for artists to promote their latest crap than anything else.

I'm flummoxed as to why BYH Classic would do the same, unless there's some hidden audience for "Celebrity Fit Club 2" reruns.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

TRL dates from 1997 and it's one of the few actual music shows left.

To lay true blame, here's the list ...

Remote Control

1/2 Hour Comedy Hour

Liquid Television

MTV Sports

Kevin Seal, Sporting Fool

Real World

Beavis and Butt-Head

Big Picture

House Of Style

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Remote Control started the ball rolling downhill in the late 80s.

But Viacom's buying MTV in 1985 may have contributed to the nudge.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but i do love me some remote control

now <i>that</i> i wish they'd replay sometime (yummm kari wuhrer -- and thank you google image search)

[​IMG]

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wait. She looked better than that, though. Except when she was "flirting" with that no-talent fucktard Colin Quinn.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted