1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, I'm back with my typical question -- SJ.com Fantasy Golf?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Birdscribe, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Good day, SJ.com folks.

It's been a while. I need to get back in these parts more.

Anyway, we had an epic fantasy golf season last year, in which I missed defending my title by three points. Three points.

Is someone starting our annual rite of the season?

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Yahoo has dropped Fantasy Golf. They dropped the Bowl Pick 'em, too, this year. Had a friend set up a league on PGA.com, but it's different. No A. B and C level and scoring for stuff like drives and short game.
    • We will not be offering Fantasy Golf in 2018. We thank you very much for playing our game over the years and hope you will continue to play our other fantasy games.

3. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Well, that certainly sucks. I loved waking up at 3:30 a.m. in a panic to set my lineup after forgetting to do it.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This was, by far, the most difficult fantasy game I have ever played.

And you folks just ran away and made me look silly the few years that I played.

I had to stop. The main reason why is that I simply never could develop a strategy that made me remotely competitive. I had no clue. It just seemed like random luck when I did well, which was rare.

That said, thanks for running the league for many years.

Regards,
    VB

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That is seriously below average. The one fantasy game I kicked ass in and it goes bye bye.

Oh, well. We had quite a nice run with it in this here sandbox.

Thanks to everyone who made it a blast.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I joined up for the PGA.com league with some other folks. I work in golf for a living and could never sniff the top three in the fantasy league. Oh well.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks. I have no interest in golf, don't play, don't watch, but I played this every year and as the reigning champ, I guess I get to retire the plaid jacket or whatever the winner got.

Thanks to all who played, always extremely competitive, you couldn't afford too many bad weeks in this game.

Off to the 19th hole, first round is on me!

I Should Coco and Fly like this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I used to work in golf but could never get into fantasy. Certainly not enough to keep grinding through the massive schedule. Now I've turned into the typical casual pro golf fan, keeping a stray eye on some events but mainly only caring about the majors. I'll find some pools for those and put time into picks.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I'll meet you at Bellwoods on Ossington next time I'm in town!

Huggy likes this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it, my brother!

Fly likes this.
  11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No fantasy golf? Bummer.
    Loved playing with y'all. Took me a couple of years of guessing before I figured out how to play.
    Would anyone be interested in a weekly DraftKings league? We could keep it on the cheap. Weekly prize for the winner?

12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

All these years and I still could not figure out how they did the scoring. I figured you were in it as long as you set a lineup by Wednesday night each week.

I figured something was up when they stopped doing the experts' picks last year. That was where I got an idea of who to select each week because I certainly didn't remember who won what tournament the previous year.

Draft saved Draft deleted