1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, Geno, it's always about you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think it's a little more than winning games . . . at least with regard to Summit and Knight.

Sometimes you have a person with immense potential (see Michelle Marciniak from the Gary Smith piece on Summit) who will never realize that potential as a player --- or as a person --- without "tough love." Despite the appearances, these "pricks" are oftentimes MORE involved in their players' personal lives and helping them grow as people, as opposed to just moving them through the system. Coach Nice Guy may not say a word if his star player is flunking a class . . . Summit would be on her ass. As a parent, which would you prefer?

Of course there is no one-size-fits-all approach. But remember, Carroll was a failure in the NFL before landing at USC. Twelve months ago the conventional wisdom was that Dungy was "too nice" to win.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whoever's at fault, no UConn-Tenn is a huge loss for women's college hoops. My interest in the sport is so low it's practically underground, but I'll stop on that game if clicking around on a weekend.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I have never met one women's hoops writer who said Summitt made their job more difficult. Not saying that person doesn't exist, but I've met several women's hoops writers, and I've never heard that.

What I will give you is that the propaganda bombers in the Lady Vols' PR department have a hilariously overblown sense of self-importance. But I haven't heard many complaints about Summitt.

4. boots

boots New Member

Geno isn't well liked by many. However, the limited dealings that I've had with him have been pleasant and I think he's a good coach and a recruiter.
    Egos have a lot to do with this Summitt-Geno thing. It's like watching a cat fight. Nobody ever wins these things.
    And for those who disagree with me, that's your prerogative. You have your opinion. I have mine. When I last checked, that wasn't a crime.

5. I tried a SportsJournalists.com search for Geno Auriemma and couldn't find the thread. Anybody got any tips on how I can find it? Yes, I know this is borderline obsessive. I'm dealing with it.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Old threads were purged last year to free up server space. You're SOL.

7. boots

boots New Member

I'm going to refrain from getting into one of your juvenile name-calling fights. You have talked to Pat Summitt? You know how she feels? For someone who spends a lot of time on these boards or sitting behind a desk in your "top 10 market" you seem to formulate an opinion on every topic. You know it all and demean those who differ from you.
    I've never had a problem with either Geno or Pat in the limited dealings I've encountered with them. I like and respect them both for what they've done for women's collegiate basketball.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like the voice of insanity boots better than the voice of reason boots, personally.

That's just my opinion, which is not a crime.

9. boots

boots New Member

No it's not a crime Ace and stop instigating. It's not worth it.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

After more than a day, that was the best you could do?

I think the vacation may have broken what little was left of your brain.

11. boots

boots New Member

You have problems. Get some help. I've said what needed to be said. There isn't any need for you to carry on this way. You do it too much and too often and it's an effort to bait petty arguments, especially with me.
    Grow up and if you can't do that, use the ignore button.

12. pot, meet kettle

Draft saved Draft deleted