1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yes, another politics/Bush thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andyouare?, Jan 29, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Bush on the Couch

http://nymag.com/news/politics/Bush/26993/

Loved this article in the New Yorker magazine -- I know, I know, liberal media garbage -- that put together 16 articles from psychiatrists, professors, columnists and political leaders that looked into Bush's psychology.

Lots of great stuff.

Here's a sample from Deepak Chopra (sp?) on Bush's smirk:

"One of the most unnerving things about George Bush is his smile. As the situation in Iraq has grown more calamitous, the smile hasn’t disappeared. It’s become markedly patronizing, saying, “I’m right on this. The rest of you just don’t understand.” A pitying smile. On the night of the State of the Union, the president kept his smirking to a minimum—a surprise. It’s been pointed out that until he became president, Bush didn’t smirk. It’s grown into a disturbing tic, expressing a mixture of contradictory traits: smugness, disdain, self-consciousness, doubt."

There's also a passage that's similar to the "Hi, I'm Peyton Mannin, you can go fuck yourself" blog by Christopher Buckley. Very amusing.

2. Boy, I hate these kind of stories. Long-distance psychoanalysis? Deepak Freaking Chopra? Why not a Magic 8-Ball, for pity's sake?

3. For once, F_B and I agree on something. And it really doesn't matter to me who the subject is.

Not one of the 16 deviates from the central theme? This might say more about them and the magazine than it says about Bush.

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

Just a point of fact: That's New York Magazine, not The New Yorker. The two are pretty different.

Draft saved Draft deleted