1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep ... TV stations are having hard times, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You all say you don't watch local news, but people around here are pretty clear that they don't think television reporters are true journalists, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. The average family? Yeah, they watch the news.

The average television reporter/producer/director? Yeah, they read the newspaper.

I think that says a lot.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When I was growing up in the 1970s, there were about 6 minutes of sports on the local TV news. Now 3 minutes is pushing it. The ESPN effect, I guess. But once you get past sweeps, actual TV news news can be pretty decent.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We push for 14 minute news blocks. My show has about 20 minutes of news, 5 minutes of sports, 10 minutes of weather, and about 5 minutes of "other stuff" before commercials. That's for an hour long show.

That's on an average day. Today's different because I have an in-studio interview during the sports block about a wheelchair basketball tournament in town this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted