1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep ... TV stations are having hard times, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Remember Martin and Greene when I still had the L.A. stations on my able. Greene seemed to jump back and forth between the L.A. and San Diego markets when I was a kid.

Also, legend has it that Greene was the real-life inspiration for Ron Burgundy.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I agree, TV stations need to add print. It's the wave of the future!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

John Reger

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Childers have been a fixture on Chicago television for a long time. Malone could be brought back to Bristol, but Bob Lobel? Wow.

5. The title to this thread is ridiculous and stupid.

Television is not hurting. Let me repeat that for the stupid .. Television is not hurting.

Newspaper on the other hand is. What glee can you possibly find by trying to imply that television is somehow hurting compared to newspaper?? Clearly it's not and whatever joy you find in other people losing their jobs is sick.

I agree that maybe some stations weren't prepared for the transition that will take place next February and are taking cost-effective measures, but television is here to stay. Can't say the same for newspaper though.

6. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Does anybody watch local television news? Legitimately, my family of four watches less than five hours of local news per year.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The only bit I watch is the five minutes between the end of The Simpsons at 1130 and the beginning of Letterman at 1135.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Most of the local newscasts I've seen seem fairly barebones. Opening segment with local stuff (mostly crime etc), second segment national and world news, fourth segment weather and fifth sports. If its an hour-long program there's a segment on "health news", another weather segment and an entertainment news. Which means except for the first segment there is very little "local news" in a local news newscast and rarely (cept for the weather) anything that directly affects me.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Paul Douglas, the most famous weatherman in Minnesota, was also let go by WCCO. He rubs some people the wrong way - his nickname is often the Goof on the roof because he goes up on the station roof - but it's pretty shocking to hear he's going. He should be ok, though. He supposedly sold a weather company of his for about $50 million a few years ago.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better than the foof on the roof.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm 35 years old and the only time i have ever watched an entire episode of a TV news broadcast was when i was required to watch it when i worked the desk a long, long time ago. back then i watched several broadcasts a night, often more than one station at a time. it was painful.

on my own time, i've probably watched about what blue_water said he watches - maybe a total of an hour or so a year.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Please let CCO let Jeanette Trompeter go and let her come back to KCCI. She made TV-8 worth watching everynight.

Draft saved Draft deleted