1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep ... TV stations are having hard times, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Three CBS O&Os are cutting news and technical staff.

A dozen people are being cut at KCBS alone. Reporters Jennifer Sabih and Jennifer Davis were laid off Monday and anchors Ann Martin and Harold Greene will leave when their contracts expire in May.

Fourteen trimmed in San Francisco (KPIX); the Chronicle says the partial list includes Rick Quan, and reporters Manny Ramos, Bill Schechner, Tony Russomano and John Lobertini.

WBBM, Chicago: 18 cuts, including Diann Burns (so they save $2M a year), Mark Malone and health correspondent Mary Ann Childers.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ann Martin and Harold Greene have been SoCal fixtures, first at Channel 7 then at KCBS, for years and years.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A friend who works for one of the Cleveland TV stations told me that the Cleveland market had $225 million in ad sales for it's four TV stations two years ago. Maybe last year. Anyway, there was $100 million in Internet ad sales last year that cut into that, of which his station received about zero.

Their general manager's answer -- BLOGS!!!

Mark Cuban would not be proud. I told him to ask the GM why a TV station that makes its money off showing viewers moving pictures thinks it's going to make a bunch of money off the Internet by putting a bunch of words on there.

4. bob

bob Member

Bob Lobel, sports anchor for 30 years at WBZ in Boston, has also been axed, along with long-time entertainment and news reporters. Lobel sucks, but it's notable.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Part of the reason tv is seeing cuts (and I know because I work in it) is because the corporations didn't prepare for DTV transitions costing so much. It's going to cost my little station in the middle of bumfuck nearly $2 million. My group prepared and still had to make a few cuts (my station only had to cut three people total. Most of which were people already gone, we just didn't rehire).

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering its a big election year, and the duration of the Dem primary, TV stations will be making a mint this year.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Depends. That only works if your state is in play. I live in Arizona - no one is buying political advertising this year because they assume McCain will win in a landslide. We're in for a really bad year.

8. DanOregon

So nobody else is running for anything? No state measures?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

CCO dumped one of its longtime/highly paid anchors a couple of weeks ago... didnt fire him, just laid him off for financial reasons.

10. DanOregon

Maybe TV news ops should add video, blogs, and the Internet.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not enough to make any significant impact, no.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Which anchor?

Draft saved Draft deleted