1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep. They whacked Girardi.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

Pretty sure Alou stepped on Loria's tiny ballerina's feet in Montreal. He and Samson are midget creeps.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

and i remember another old man who did OK when he stepped in to manage the marlins in 2003.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought his downfall was that he dared to talk back to the owner. I really hope Girardi does get NL Manager of the Year, just to highlight what a jackass Loria is.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It had more to do with him telling the owner to shut up when he berated an umpire from behind home plate than it did with not connecting with the latin players.

Girardi and Loria's relationship was so frosty it made Antarctica look like Ecuador from what I've read.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

You don't get to show up millionaire owners and survive. It's that simple. Loria is an egomaniac douchebag, but so is Girardi. Be interesting to see if Girardi gets a managing gig or ends up back with the Yankees as The Next Joe.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

If Alou were hypothetically to take the job in Miami, after all the water under the bridge in Montreal, the way they treated him, and the way Alou always presents himself as a "man of honour", I give up.

That would mean there is no honour in baseball.

Alou hated them so much that he gladly sat out the year after they canned him, just so he could personally enjoy going to the bank and cashing that fat cheque signed by Loria and Samson every week or 15 days.
    And I don't blame him a bit. I would have been giggling my ass off while I did it, too. :)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This gives lie to the proposition that capitalists do things only in their productive self-interest.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Girardi and Gonzalez may have passed each other in the parking lot.
    Fredi is a great fit. Of Cuban descent, fluent in Spanish, has Miami roots. And a very good baseball guy.
    I wish he was coming to Washington.

9. Moderator1

Gonzalez has been named.

MIAMI (AP) — Once the runner-up to Joe Girardi for the job of managing the Florida Marlins, Fredi Gonzalez became his successor Tuesday.
    The Marlins fired Girardi, and five hours later announced that he’ll be replaced by Gonzalez, third-base coach for the Atlanta Braves the past four years. Girardi’s departure after only one season had been expected after his rift with owner Jeffrey Loria boiled over in an on-field confrontation two months ago.
    Gonzalez, 42, interviewed with the Marlins a year ago after Jack McKeon resigned. Instead they hired Girardi, but his relationship with Loria and general manager Larry Beinfest soon became strained.
    Gonzalez was born in Cuba and raised in Miami, becoming the first manager in the Marlins’ organization when they hired him to run their first minor league team in Erie, Pa., in 1992. Beginning in 1999, he coached third base for 2½ years under Marlins manager John Boles.
    The cost-conscious Marlins wanted Girardi out so badly they were willing to let him go with two years left on a guaranteed three-year contract. They fired him even though he’s considered a strong candidate for NL manager of the year.
    The Marlins had baseball’s youngest team and lowest payroll at $15 million, but Girardi led them to a 78-84 record, and they were in contention for a playoff berth until a late-September fade.
    Girardi said he was fired during a short, unemotional meeting in his office with Beinfest, team president David Samson and assistant general manager Mike Hill. Loria did not attend.
    “They came in and said, ‘We’re going to make a change,’” Girardi said. He said no reason was given, and he didn’t ask for one.
    Girardi, an Illinois native, Northwestern graduate and former Chicago Cubs catcher, becomes a potential candidate to replace Dusty Baker, whose four-year tenure with the Cubs ended Monday. Two other teams are also looking for managers — Washington parted with Frank Robinson, and San Francisco cut ties with Felipe Alou.
    Girardi said he has no idea what he’ll do next season, and plans to discuss options with his wife. His voice broke when he began discussing his dismissal with reporters in his office, but he was soon smiling and cracking jokes.
    “I’ll land on my feet,” he said. “I talked to one of my mentors last night and I said, ‘I’ve never been fired before.’ And he said, ‘Welcome to the club.’”
    The rift between Girardi and Loria erupted at a game Aug. 6, when the owner berated an umpire while sitting behind the plate. From the dugout, Girardi asked Loria to stop.
    “The gist of the conversation to Jeffrey was, ‘I preach to my players about not arguing with umpires, and this is not going to help us,’” Girardi said.
    Loria angrily left his seat and confronted Girardi after the game during a 90-minute clubhouse meeting.
    The owner has refused to comment on the episode or respond to published reports that he fired Girardi that day, then changed his mind.
    Girardi declined to elaborate on what happened, or discuss his differences with Loria and Beinfest.
    “Obviously, the things I did, whether they were perfect or not, the players responded. We won,” Girardi said.
    Beginning in spring training, Beinfest clashed with Girardi over personnel decisions, and during the second half of the season the general manager was rarely seen in the clubhouse or manager’s office.
    The decision to fire Girardi was not based on the incident with Loria, but rather a “breakdown in the way the organization was operating,” Beinfest said.
    “Joe is not returning because it was not a good fit,” Beinfest said. “That’s it. ... We felt that Joe was not able to integrate himself into the inner workings of this organization.”
    Beinfest declined to detail any of the specifics of the problems between Girardi and the front office, adding that the organization wanted the relationship to work.
    “We’re ready to move on,” Beinfest said.
    The power struggle had no apparent affect on the team. The Marlins were widely projected to lose more than 100 games, but instead they rallied from an 11-31 start and trailed in the NL wild-card race by only two games on Sept. 12 before fading.
    The Marlins became the first team to climb above .500 from 20 games under. They also became the first team to have four rookie pitchers win 10 games, and they set a record for most home runs by rookies with 112.
    “People thought we were going to lose more games than any team in baseball, and we didn’t,” Girardi said. “And that’s because of the players.”
    As a player, Girardi was a member of three World Series championship teams with the New York Yankees. He spent seven seasons with the Cubs and also played for the Colorado Rockies and St. Louis Cardinals before retiring as a player in 2003.
    The Marlins’ managerial hiring was their fourth since Loria bought the team in 2002.
    AP-ES-10-03-06 1435EDT 

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

So Moddy, who is coming to Washington? Does Davey Lopes have a chance? Lou Piniella? Davey Johnson?

11. Moderator1

Manny Acta.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My god...that didn't take long.

Draft saved Draft deleted