1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep, no double standard here...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, May 28, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

God, do some of you even read -- A San Francisco hotel will be the one which, like the Aussie hotel, tries to ban hetreosexuals from it

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hetreosexuals?
    What is that? A dude having sex with his Palm Treo?

I'm pretty sure I once stayed at a hotel in Key West that likely wanted to ban heterosexuals, but didn't. Just remember if you see an open window at a place like that, don't look inside...

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, that's going to happen.

It's an oddity, which makes it newsworthy. It doesn't automatically mean that hotels in countries all over the world are going to start doing this.

That's a leap Mike Conley Sr. or Bob Beamon would be proud of.

4. zagoshe

Sorry -- fixed to appease the grammar cops....

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Fixed again....

6. zagoshe

Fixed again....

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's not banning heteros. He's banning everyone except gay men. No dykes allowed either.

McFeely said his aim was not to ban all straight patrons and lesbians but to limit their numbers so gay men could freely express their sexuality.

He said he expected a backlash from other patrons, but added: "I'm not worried about it because to be frank I don't really care what heterosexuals or lesbians think.

No different than a bar that allows children --up until say, 9:00 and then it's adults only.

Talk about much ado about nothing.

8. So Zag, were all those lunch-counter sit-ins and freedom rides offenses against the market?
    That argument seems to have gotten lost in all you tremors about teh gay coming here on the backs of the Emus.

9. zagoshe

If a hotel chain decided to ban blacks -- I'd be willing to bet that hotel chain would go out of business within a year or two because people would not patronize that hotel and it wouldn't be able to advertise regardless of how much it paid, either. That's how the market is supposed to work -- you offer a product, I decide whether I want to buy said product and if enough people don't buy, you go out of business.

10. zagoshe

So you'd be willing to accept a similar argument for a hotel that bans everyone except straight white people?

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, don't cruise lines already have gay-men only, lesbian-only, and single people only trips? It also seems like resorts are doing the same thing.
    And is the Aussie hotel more of a resort than anything else?
    I don't see what the problem is.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nobody but Zag sees a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted