1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yep, I'm injured again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is that wet spot a sign of how excited he was to get those plaques?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jack Daniel's. Screen. Fucker.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

It was early summer 1999, and I turned 30 in the spring.
    I had joined a flag football team headed up by the husband of wife's friend and we were holding a practice -- basically just running pass patterns in one-on-one scenarios.
    As soon as I took of from the line, a searing pain tore through the area above the back of my right ankle and hit the turf in a heap. I thought the quarterback had been goofing around and thrown the ball at my ankle, but he was just standing there, staring.
    Everyone thought it was just a cramp, so I tried stretching and walking -- limping -- it off. It did no good, especially with my wife needling me about having to suck it up and being a little too old for the game.
    Fast forward several weeks later. The limp and pain never left, so I'm off to the foot doctor. Surprise, achille's tendon torn 75 percent through.
    Operation, full leg wrap, immobile for a while.
    When I do get back to work, it's on crutches, naturally, and it's fall sports tab time. Wife, who also works at the paper, had to drive me around to a few of the photo shoots -- fell down at one because I'd worn the rubber tip (insert own joke here) off one of the crutches -- until I started to drive myself while leg was still encased.
    Still have found memories of crawling up and through the back wall of one stadium's stands to get in the press box (yes, the opening was a small hole, about 3-foot square, in the wall abutting the stands). At another school, I had a parking pass, but was told by the kid at the gate that the area was full, so I back out, find a place to park and crutch in. Gate kid then says, 'Hey, if I knew you were on crutches, I'd have let you in.' Still don't know how he missed the crutches sprawled across the seat when he looked in the car to tell me I couldn't park there.
    On a positive note, I did get pretty fast on the crutches, which helped when I covered football on the sidelines. I was quite a sight with crutches, a notebook, a camera and an umbrella.

4. I'm pretty sure I tore the labrum in my right shoulder doing push-ups with my p90x. Good thing I'm left-handed. I'd go get it check but I can't afford the hospital bills with my crappy benefits at my shop. Good thing they pay me so well ... Oh wait ...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

;D

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side. Think of all the hot ass you can pull at the bar bragging about your rugby injury.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, 24 hours from now, my left arm will be in a cast and I'll be whacked out on painkillers.
    Should make for some interesting posts.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cool... something to read with a beer tonight...

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Spent the night in the hospital. Hardly slept. My arm is in splint. Getting a brace Wednesday. Most of the pain is gone. I'll probably be back at work by Thursday.

Draft saved Draft deleted