1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yellowstone/Glacier National Park

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Has anyone been?

I want to hike. Not hard-core-hike with tents and such - day-hike, with a decent bed at the end of the day.

Would you recommend it? And which would you pick if you could only pick one? (Or can you reasonably see both in a week?) And any other tips?

Thank you, Wisdom-filled Crowd.

2. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I hit YNP almost every summer for a 10-day vacation of nothing but hiking and fly-fishing. It's one of two times a year I get to see my folks.

When I die, I want my ashes spread throughout the park. I love the place. Garnder Canyon, the First Meadow, the Madison, the confluence... I could go on and on.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ask sportschick. Or just wait for her to inevitably find this thread in about two hours.

4. I'll let her be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks a lot!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yellowstone is great, amazing to see so much in a relatively small area, and Old Faithful is one of those bucket list kind of things, but I found Glacier more spectacular, Avalanche Lake is stunning and a great day hike. If you like animals, go to Yellowstone, if you like running water go to Glacier.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Amazing place. They are far away from each other, though, so I don't know about both in a week unless you're going to just scratch the surface. Yellowstone would be my pick, also if you go there you can head a few miles south and see Grand Teton National Park, another amazing place. The two combined should have all the scenery and wildlife you need.

7. Thanks to all so far. Keep 'em coming.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend non-cabin/non-tent but also relatively inexpensive accommodation at either of them, please feel free.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'd like to go, but just my luck, it would be the time when the supervolcano under it would decide to blow.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There are a couple of lodges inside Yellowstone that are nice. If not there, stay in the town by the north entrance or in Cody to the east (Cody is something like an hour drive though, IIRC).
    In the Tetons, stay at Jackson Lake Lodge or Signal Mountain Lodge. Both have nice rooms with amazing views. Or you can stay in Jackson Hole, the town to the south that isn't far at all from the park.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you want to hike, go to Glacier. Everything to be seen at Yellowstone is pretty much right off the road.

At Glacier, there are even still chalets you can hike into, spend the night (bring your own food) and then hike out in the morning. They're about a day's hike (10 miles or so, I can't remember).

11. jps

jps Active Member

it's been said, but I'd pick glacier. it's far more beautiful, I think, and in many ways lots less commercialized.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

See this is one reason why you are super awesome!

Draft saved Draft deleted