1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yearly Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wasn't "Blaze of glory" a solo jon BJ song?

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

No comparison there. Sure, "Walk This Way" makes Run DMC more rock and roll than most hip-hop acts, but Run DMC wouldn't get in based on that song alone. Run DMC was the first hip-hop group to gain mainstream popularity and helped mesh two genres. This greatest hits CD I have goes start to finish with maybe one song that's not fantastic:

1. King Of Rock
    2. It's Tricky
    3. Beats to the Rhyme
    4. Can You Rock It Like This
    5. Walk This Way
    6. Run's House
    7. Rock Box
    8. Peter Piper
    9. Mary, Mary
    10. Hard Times
    11. You Be Illin'
    12. It's Like That
    13. My Adidas
    14. Sucker M.C.'s (Krush Groove 1)
    15. You Talk Too Much
    16. Jam-Master Jay
    17. Down with the King
    18. Christmas in Hollis

Vanilla Ice was a joke. Tone Loc had two songs.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Christmas In Hollis, now there's a Christmas song I can get behind.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can see you doing that

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

More of a fan of Genesis than Rush, but yeah, they both should be in.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Kiss should be in. Then again, Blondie being in lowered the bar to the level that would make Kylie Minogue a candidate (hi, Ginger!).

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rush and Genesis should be total no-brainers. Same with Yes. Chicago's run during the '70s far outweighs it mostly craptastic '80s, easily enough to garner serious consideration.

I dunno about KISS as an all-time great, but as Dooley noted, the bar has been lowered with enough recent inductions that, compared to them, KISS belongs.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd forgot that my man Stevie Ray Vaughan released his first album 25 years ago. No question he should be in, as should Johnny Winter.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

WHERE THE FUCK IS KISS!??!?!!

This is the mother fucking hall of music my dad's dad listened to once upon a time, while my dad sat around getting stoned and partying to good shit that people actually liked on the radio.

(note, my dad's dad doesn't give two shits about rock music, he's all country all the way, and my dad hasn't been in the same room with marijuana in his entire life, much less actually partied in the way I just suggested)

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The more I think about it, the more Brian Eno stands out to me as the most glaring admission. He's had his hands and Oblique Strategies on some of most innovative music made during the last 35 years. The latest evidence is his music for Spore, which mutates along with your character:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/12/mutating-eno-produced-spore-score-reinventing-game-music/

This, as he recorded another album with David Byrne and produced Coldplay, among other projects.

11. Usually, the close of the ceremony is a fun jam. This one's not shaping up to be so good.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Rush has to be the best male band with a chick lead singer.

And KISS should be in there IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted