1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yearly Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If the Kennedys got in they'd have to do "Too Drunk To Fuck".

No Alice Cooper in the RRHOF is a glaring ommission.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I love Slick Rick, and he certainly was more of a pioneer, but I'd argue that LL was the first true rap star.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are you sure Cooper isn't in? I might be totally wrong, but I thought he went in the same year AC/DC did.

4. Mizzougrad96

Just my opinion: LL's stuff doesn't hold up like the other's on that list.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Womack is borderline, but that's NOT his career highlight. In addition to being a seminal soul artist, he is one of the most diverse musicians of the 1970s, playing guitar on Sly & The Family Stone's There's A Riot Going On, Janis Joplin's Pearl, and he played on various sessions with the Rolling Stones over the years, while they covered one of his songs, It's All Over Now, for a hit of their own.

And anyone who owns the Across 110th Street soundtrack, knows just how great he could be. There's nary a bad Womack track on that album.

Admittedly borderline for the HOF, but undeniably in the Hall of Great.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bubbler beat me to it - Bobby Womack gets my vote based on "Across 110th Street" alone.

Otherwise, from the list provided I'll go with Metallica, Jeff Beck and Run-DMC. And while there may be rap acts that had a bigger role within the genre, no one broke rap through to the mainstream like Run-DMC did.

I'll avoid my annual mockery of Rush, but I wouldn't have any problem with Genesis getting in. Seems odd that they're not.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?

Honestly . . . get over the whole "voice" thing.

8. Mizzougrad96

Bobby Womack can lick Geddy Lee's taint. :D

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Or to make up for the crime of Rod Stewart ripping his "(If You Want My Love) Put Something Down on It" for "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" In other news, I'm stunned Brian Eno isn't in.

The bigger problem is that the Rock Hall is going to run out of worthy inductees. What rock 'n' roll pioneer from today is getting in? John Mayer?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's a problem for the 2026 Hall voters.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No Genesis?
    No Rush?

No legitimacy.

That's All.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jeff Beck, Metallica and Run-DMC for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted