1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yearly Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This year's nominees:

http://rockhall.com/induction2009

Jeff Beck
    Chic
    Wanda Jackson
    Little Anthony and the Imperials
    Metallica
    Run-D.M.C.
    the Stooges
    War
    Bobby Womack

Metallica should be in (should have been in last year). Run-DMC has a place in history. Jeff beck, shocked to see he's still waiting.

I now lament once again that Rush continues to be disrespected. As do Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes etc. That whole genre gets no love, and some of those bands have as much staying power and attempts at innovation as some in the Hall. How are ZZ Top and AC/DC in by putting out the same record for 20-plus years, but none of these guys?

But hey, Chic is always an act I think of when I think "Rock and Roll."

2. the fact that genesis and yes have never been considered is ridiculous

musically innovative

commercially successful

enduring

popular

i mean, chic?

good fucking lord

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Run D.M.C. must be voted in based on the fact that they are the kings of rock and there are none that are higher. In fact, sucker MCs actually refer to them as sire.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Metallica's gotta be a lock. I would think the Stooges will get some love given that Iggy has always been the godfather of punk and he's undergone a career renaissance of sorts. Beck's been gone from the mainstream rock scene for some time but he was certainly influential enough in the 60s and 70s.

No Rush. Sigh.....

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Right on, andy.

I've been down with the king for years... about 10 of 'em.

Genesis NEEDS to be in, too.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Jeff Beck and Metallica should be first ballot HoFs, no questions asked.

And I'd put Run DMC in there too, because they successfully fused rock and hip-hop.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Metallica should definitely be in. As should Jeff Beck and the Run DMC.

Rush and Yes should definitely be in.

Jethro Tull and Genesis would both seem borderline, although I wouldn't be upset if they get in.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yearly Rush sucks post, but I agree with Piotr that some other prog rock groups are waaay past due to get their props.

From that list, I'd pick Metallica, Run DMC and War.

Jeff Beck and Bobby Womack possibly too, their careers are actually very similar in the respect that both were vagabonds whose solo careers were spotty, but who contributed greatly in the framework of a group or on other people's projects.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Rap sucks, so I don't care about Run D.M. C., but on name recognition alone I assume they get in.

Beck and Metallica should be locks.

And, Piotr, ZZ Top may have put out the same album for the last 20 years, but they spent their first 10 years putting out one great album after another. ZZ Top's First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres, Fandango, Tejas, Deguello and El Loco, all released between 1971 and 1981, are blues rock at its finest. And while Eliminator, released in '83, was the beginning of their shift to more pop-rock, it has some great, great songs. "Under Pressure" and "TV Dinners" are outstanding.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Jeff Beck, Metallica and Run DMC.

Jann's rag Rolling Stone did what amounted as a look at Rush's 30-plus years in the biz earlier this year as a way to show that they know the band exists. Consider that a half-hearted step in the right direction. Geddy, Alex and Neil, at this point of their careers, likely don't care if they get into the RRHOF anymore, but it's nice to hear them acknowledge that they know their fans speak out all the time about the HOF snub in articles (such as the RS piece) from time to time.

Rush does deserve to be in the HOF. Genesis and Yes, too.

What actually always makes me care about the HOF induction is seeing which of the sideman (session players) musicians get the nod.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I will be in Cleveland Saturday, and there's no way I'll give the R&R HOF any of my scratch until they consider Rush.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Very true, pallister. And AC/DC put out some really great stuff in the 1970s as well. But the fact remains: if those guys are in, then Rush, et. al. should be too. Or at least get nominated. This is a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted