1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah, the Pac-10 is mediocre ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 30, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

WAC's difficult to go undefeated in if you're not Boise State. They really don't have problems pulling it off fairly regularly.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

didn't read that stance from you all season long when folks were kicking the pac-10 in the teeth ... that sure seems fucking odd.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The Pac 10s second best team beat the Big 12s fourth best in a highly contested game. And you're talking shit about it?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't Oregon finish third?

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Tied for second with OSU, a team they beat.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I generally don't wade in, anymore, tomas, but I've made it on more than one occasion on the daily SEC ROOOLZ, FAT TEN DROOOLZ threads.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Gotcha.

All this love for the Little 12 is going to force me to root for two teams I hate: Florida and Ohio State.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm not a Big 12 apologist, just pointing out the facts

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not arguing your point, because it's a damn good one I've never thought about, but Miami to Boston is kind of a hike, too. Actually, right at about 1500 miles, too. Yeah, most of the schools are fairly tight, but if you're going to say going to the outlier makes a conference near impossible to sweep because of distance and weather, there are others who have to go through the same thing.
    Most college football teams fly pretty damn comfortably.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-10 is somewhat tougher to go undefeated in because everyone plays everyone. No one skips USC, or any other team that is good. That's not true in the SEC, Big 12 and ACC, which have three skip teams, or the Big Ten, which has two.

I'm not saying the Pac-10 is the toughest conference in the country. But it's consistently among the top two or three, and generally proves it at the Rose Bowl, in other BCS games, in the bowls, and by how many quarterbacks - by far the most important position on the field - it sends on to the NFL.

And the bowls do matter, if for nothing else for determining national rankings, which greatly influence recruiting, which is a close second to actual coaching as THE most important thing in college football.

And I'll agree with JD, as always, in regards to his comments about LSU fans' reaction to its Peach Bowl win. Nobody in Microville is as happy over Microville Tech's second-tier bowl win this year as they were over a BCS victory several years ago. But they're still pretty darn pleased.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bonus points for calling it the Peach Bowl. ;D

12. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

I don't give a fuck how many champions the Rose Bowl produced in a certain periodd. It was at least one, I know that, unless you're not counting the 1998 Rose Bowl as part of the 1997 season. The point is, it used to be the goal of those conferences' teams to get to that game. It used to be a goal to win a conference championship. It no longer is.

Oklahoma and Florida won their respective conferences. Do you really think the one that loses next week is going to give a shit about that? Likewise, do you really think anyone at USC or PSU is jacked up about playing in the Grandaddy of the Also-Ran Bowl? Or that Texas or Ohio State are fired up to be playing in the Fiesta Bowl? I know Texas isn't, and I have to bet all those morons who came back for their senior years at OSU for a shot at a national title aren't thrilled to be going to Tempe again.

The regular season becomes meaningless once a team has two losses. Teams won't play good non-league schedules anymore for fear of getting knocked out of the national title race before conference play even stars, thereby illustrating the complete meaninglessness of conference championships. And since only one bowl game counts, all those other meaningless conference championships feed into a bunch of even more meaningless exhibitions.

And Rossi, teams may not pull their starters, but if you don't see some efforts by some of these teams as completely half-assed in these games, you're completely not paying attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted