1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah, the Pac-10 is mediocre ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bowling Green scoffs at Oregon State only beating Pitt 3-0, on a neutral field no less.

2. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

TP, I agree. Why play them? Because when teams like Texas Tech, Texas and USC play all year for basically nothing, because conference championships no longer mean anything to anybody, the entire year is meaningless unless you're one of the two deemed worth of playing in the fake championship game. This year, Oklahoma and Florida got that nod, and were deemed better than everyone else, even though they very well may not be. But what, exactly, are USC, Texas, Texas Tech, even Utah, playing for at this time of year? Nothing.

Put the bowls back where they were, or have a playoff. Until then, the regular season is just a three-month contest to impress computers and uber-biased voters.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

from weak to pathetic. thanks.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you're attempting to argue for a playoff, you'll get none from me.

but if you're attempting to tell me the system was better 20 years ago than it is today, then, well, you're simply wrong.

5. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

No, I'm not wrong. Twenty years ago, the Big Ten and Pac 10 played for a championship. Their champion wen to the Rose Bowl, which had prestige. It no longer does. Nobody cares that USC is going to beat Penn State 38-10. Because neither is going to be a "champion" at the end of the day. Ditto the Big 8 (12), which no longer plays for the Orange Bowl. The bowls have been cheapened so much by the BCS that teams clearly don't care when they're playing in them. The efforts on the field make that clear.

I don't know whether I'm for a playoff or not, but the current system has not only made all but one bowl game completely useless, it crowns a champion that in most years does not even come close to having an outright claim to the championship. This year could be the grossest example yet of that.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I can introduce you to a lot of LSU fans who are very happy tonight. Are they as excited as they were after winning the national championship? No. But it's wrong by a country mile to say the victory tonight meant nothing to them.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ. you are so wrong, it's sickening. i'm really guessing you're like 24 or 25 and simply speaking out of your ass.

riddle me this, smart guy: how many AP national champions did the rose bowl produce between 1974 and 1997?

here's a little hint: the answer pisses all over your theory.

8. jps

jps Active Member

I missed you, tom.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Exhibitions? I must have missed everyone's starters on the bench in the second half.

By the end of the day, the Pac-10 could be 5-0, with four victories against ranked teams and wins against four of the other five BCS conferences.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Is this the part in this ridiculous ongoing shit-flinging where someone pops in and points out that conferences don't play games, teams do?

If so, there you are.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have posted this before, and I am sure others have as well, but the Pac-10 is the toughest conference to go undefeated in the nation.

You have a team practicing in Tucson in 90 degree heat all season, then they hop in a plane and travel 1,500 miles for a game in Washington that could be 45 degrees.

The distance that these teams travel and a varying climates makes playing on the road a lot harder than hopping a 45-minute flight or driving a bus two hours the night before a game.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You could say that about the WAC as well - but I do think the Pac 10 gets unfairly maligned. Are they as strong at the top of their conference as the Big 12 or the SEC? No. But they're a solid number three. And if you remove USC, Texas and Oklahoma from the equation, I'd say the Pac 10 is better than the Big 12.

Draft saved Draft deleted