1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah ... that's the way to get people over to your side

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 12, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

... Just disrupt a church service, at a church, I might add, that bears no resemblance to the certifiable gay-bashing bunch in Topeka, Kan.

I think the gay community needs to quit fighting the fact that many denominations will consider homosexuality a sin. I don't see drunks disrupting a church service because churches think alcohol is a sin.
  2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

To be fair, the drunks are probably sleeping one off.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, in the South, we have church on Wednesday nights.
    That's why you never schedule a high school sports event that night below the Virginia-North Carolina line.
  4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Or the priest or pastor
  5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't see alcoholics being barred from having equal rights as others. Tell you what, when people who have been arrested for public drunkeness or a DUI are barred by a state from getting married, you go ahead and let us know.
  6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

these folks should hold their "bash back" parties at the state house, not their local church....I'm sure this really swayed the congregation to their side.
  7. JR

JR Active Member

Actually, Hondo, a lot of gays don't give a rat's ass whether some sects consider homosexuality a sin.

They just want the same rights as the Bible Thumpers, many of whom seem bound and determined to deny gays those rights.

Maybe if the evangelicals just minded their own business, they wouldn't have protests in their churches

As KO said, "Why do you care?"
  8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Drunkenness is actually a socially acceptable response to a separation or a divorce.

It's also a great excuse for when you wind up married unexpectedly (see: Spears, Britney, and Alexander, Jason).
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Churches think alcohol is a sin? Where?

Many churches in my area host AA meetings and other 12-step programs three or fouor times a week... night sessions, lunchtime sessions for business people, Saturday sessions.
  10. JR

JR Active Member

Hondo's from the South. They have church service on Wednesday evenings.

Use those awesome deductive skills, Spnited. :)
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Some do, trust me.

And the AA meeting thing falls under the "hate the sin, love the sinner" line of thinking.
  12. JR

JR Active Member

Or in some churches, they see it a part of their social responsibility to reach out to the sick and the less fortunate.
Draft saved Draft deleted