1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah I Bought Thriller Today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To be honest, none. I thought Kanye West would have brought something, anything, to Billie Jean. But he doesn't. He just mixed in some new background beats. No rapping.

To be honest, and this is awful to say, the Beat It remix with Fergie is the best. But I wouldn't buy it.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

A story Tom Petty will love to mock me for:

I was 6 when the Jacksons went on their Victory Tour. Parents had tickets, and we all went to Arrowhead Stadium for my first concert. It was a last-minute deal (company suite) and I was panicking because I couldn't find my batting glove to wear "like Michael."

I need to be slapped ...

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I thought the Fergie song was the best and I was actually disappointed with the Kanye remix of Billy Jean.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tremendous!

5. Rumpleforeskin

The guy unquestionably was a great performer. Women fainted everytime he began to sing and every time he began that little whimper.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I don't care what anybody says ... and how many little boys Michael diddles ... Thriller was the shit.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There is only one future Mr. Reid and that's me!

I'm proud to say that I don't own a single Jack-off album.

8. Rumpleforeskin

I agree with the first part of your statement, not so much the second, but again with the third.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Michael Jackson, who can sing, and is a good looking guy.

But ain't the most masculine fellow in the world.

That's Michael's hook, his sensitivity. That's when women be saying: "Michael's just so sensitive."

And they eat that shit up. Mike knows.

He'll be using women. I've seen Mike walk up to a girl and they'd be in the audience and say: "Is it all right if I come down there to sing to you?"

And women go: "Whaaaaaaaaaa!"

Then, if you don't scream, Michael gets really sensitive and cries on your ass.

Ever hear that record "She's Out Of My Life"?

(Mimics a portion of the song; starts crying)

"Tito, give me some tissues."

"Jermaine, stop teasing."

10. Rumpleforeskin

Eddie Murphy...one of the greatest stand-up comedians ever.

I love this gem from someone during "Def Comedy Jam"

"You know who the baddest Mike on the planet is? Michael Jackson. Any person who has to adjust themselves more than once during a show is a bad man. And I don't care who Michael touches. If he put me on payroll, I would be one of his animals."

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Probably not the best wording, in hindsight. I only meant that his pervertitude doesn't distract from the greatness of Thriller.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'm sorry, but if you're looking to point out when pop music really lost its way, Michael Jackson and "Thriller" is a great place to start.
    Somebody here said it didn't sell 30 million copies just to preteens. That's true. There were a lot of 20somethings like myself who kept listening, and scratching our heads, and watching the video, and scratching our heads, and thinking, "Well, everybody says this is great, if we don't think it's great, then maybe we're getting old, but isn't this the little guy who sang the song about the rat in 'Willard'? These songs are insightful and poignant???"
    People certainly do bob their heads and dance to it and sing along with it. Also to "the chicken dance" and 'Margaritaville."
    Count me out.

Draft saved Draft deleted