1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah I Bought Thriller Today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Paste Magazine has a pretty good feature story on Thriller. I generally respect their opinions, and it's a well thought out article IMO>
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/action/article/6503/feature/music/what_i_miss_about_michael_jackson

2. yup

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was cleaning a little and watching Roseanne, and Bev -- the annoying grandmother -- was watching the "Super Game" with Dan, Jackie and Fred and said, "Is that Jackson 5 Boy going to sing at halftime? He's great with children."

I chuckled.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, straight from jake's story: "the glove made him mysterious" ... as i remember, the glove usually was the most mocked part of the act, other than his attempting to act tough, of course.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

HAHA I saw that and wondered if you were still watching.

Drop me a PM if Elliott shows up before 6 am.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You got it, Mr. Reid. (Sorry, HB.) I'm only going to watch this one and maybe the one at 3:30, then I'm calling it a night. But consider me on Becky-Elliot watch until then.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Think about it dude. Every big star is mocked in some fashion, and hated on immensely.

Michael was bigger than any big star. And he was unique with his dancing, outfit, the glove, etc. Of COURSE he's going to get mocked by rebellious kids.

I heard someone say about a song once. "You love it because it's great. Then you hate it because it's popular. Then you love it because it's great."

That's Michael Jackson for you.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shaggy - i like you, man, but please don't attempt to analyze me.

my boys and i watched thriller premier. hated it then, too. his shit, thriller, was unbelievable, juvenile and flat out stupid. his music was worse.

there was no redeeming quality about the cat. he was irritating, not entertaining.

we also never cared for robert palmer, we are the world, a-ha, debbie gibson, elvis costello and the B-52s. personally, i always disliked zz top with a passion.

the silly shit we grooved was cindy lauper, huey lewis, madonna, air supply and footloose.

don't attempt to qualify mj, dude. the cupboard is bare.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry dude, i had to bare my soul so freakin' shagster would get my point.

but don't get me wrong. my favorite album of the 80s was the wall. scorps also were high on the list. ratt also was huge for about a year.

MJ, mocked by everyone i knew.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Off The Wall was better than the over-produced Thriller. McDonalds sells a lot of hamburgers, that doesn't make them great.

A great Quincy Jones album is "Back on the Block." It won Album of the Year and deservedly so. Will they even celebrate anniversaries of albums/CDs 25 years from now? Will they go with the first illegal download?

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe that's it.... or maybe those guys wanted nothing to do with him (isn't McCartney in a row with Jacko re: Beatles songs rights?).

Those two's contributions to Thriller were small... but big.

Draft saved Draft deleted