1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yea, shockey son no. 1...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Dec 15, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

he just learned he's been accepted to suny at stony brook, my alma mater and one of the three or four top state schools in n.y. whew! one or two others may be higher on his wish list, but at least his mother doesn't have to sweat him going to community college and staying home.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Will subsidies (scholarship(s) )help pay for his college?
    That's what I'm hoping for for my lone kid.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He couldn't get in at SUNY-Ann ARbor? :)

Congrats!

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

we can only hope. if no scholarship funds come through, he'll just have to go the college loans route. such is life.

when i went to stony brook, even my money-poor parents were able to swing the tuition/room and board. it was the late '70's and was about 5 grand per year. they supplied me with 25 bucks a week into a checking account for groceries and other expenses. my, how times have changed!

i wasn't stuck with re-paying loans like so many others after college. don't see how my three little shockeys will get around it. no college savings by me and the mrs. we knew early on we didn't make enough to be able to do that and live where we live. you make choices. right or wrong, we opted to give our boys a great life in a great town (re: expensive) for the first 18 years of their lives.

we made the right choice. methinks/hopes.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

congratulations to him, and to mom and dad shockey. nice work all around. :)

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, filenotfound. it was a pleasant surprise to brighten our saturday. and should tone down the level of screaming leveled at son no. 1, a lazy underachiever. much like his father.

at least now we know someone will take him on and he won't disgrace the family name!

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Congratulations to shockey1! I know how that first acceptance letter takes the pressure off. Our first just got home for Christmas from her first quarter in college. The school wasn't her first choice, but, as I suspected, after one term there she'd be happy nowhere else.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

indeed the first acceptance takes all the pressure off. especially when it's among your top three choices. he knows he can be extremely happy there. i'm so happy for him. he's a good kid.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

takes after his mother?

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Congrats on successfully navigating the college admissions rat race!

And Blitz, if you believe kids can get adequate scholarships/grants to pay for college these days, you're living in a fantasy world.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

in the looks department, thank god, yes. in the charm department, he's me.
    in the smarts department? her again.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Anything helps, though. And if it's a sports scholarship, they do pay for an awful lot.
    Academic scholarships .. they provide less dough.
    I want to be able to provide spending money for my kids and allow them to savor the college experience.
    Takes money to send 'em away, for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted