1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ye olde Football Pick'em contest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by aztarheel, Mar 30, 2012.

1. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

There are several web sites that host March Madness bracket contests (www.hoopness.com, etc.). Was wondering if there are any that do something similar for other sports-related contests.

We were kicking around the idea of starting a Football Pick'em contest this fall, where readers choose winners of area high school games as well as some college and pro games. (Advertising racket but it is fun, too, and draws readers to our web site). Just trying to find out if we can run our contest online somewhere. Thanks for the help.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Promoting gambling on high school games would be a tremendous avenue for a local newspaper. Good luck!

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

More than one small newspaper where I grew up did this. I think the winner each week won like $50. One paper even wrote a silly little 300-word piece on the winner each week. They'd let you pick all the HS games and a few college and NFL games. Was a full-page ad. Each game was on a different sponsor.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

This guy thinks this sounds like a great idea:

[​IMG]

He can also score you prime tickets to Cheap Trick. The magnetism of Robin Zander and the charisma of Rick Nielsen.

Seriously, my small town newspaper did this when I was growing up for the area high school games. I think it's OK as long as you don't set any "spreads" for the games. Either do it straight up or have people predict the scores and whomever gets the closest wins.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

rmanfredi beat me to it. Has to be straight up. Maybe throw in a local college or pro game, just for shits and giggles? Hell, I'd steal this too, but I'm convinced our ad staff would only halfheartedly try to sell it, then blame the recession.

Draft saved Draft deleted