1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yates not guilty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Jul 26, 2006.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

As Ron White said, she should have ate crayons and rolled her turds into little balls.

2. Zeek

Zeek Member

You do realize that she'll most likely be spending the rest of her life in a mental hospital, right? It's not like she's getting of scott free or anything...

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Paul H.B. Shin, New York Daily News writes:

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No, she won't. She'll be in there three months tops.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

But it's pretty obvious some of you are using this as an opportunity to do some Christian-bashing...painting everyone of that religion with a pretty broad brush. At least I've got the integrity to say it's only a minority of Muslims that cause trouble.

And I don't give a shit what religion they were or if Rusty Yates was the second coming of Charlie Manson. She had to be pretty fucked up on her own to drown five kids.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And this crap of the stress of taking care of five kids as a stay-home mom is just that -- crap. My grandmother was one of eight kids, my mom was one of five and I was the oldest of eight. All were stay-at-home Moms and none of the women who were the head of those households drowned a single kid.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not all women are the same.  My mom had 4 kids, adopted 5 more and helped raise uncountable foster children. God bless her.  I could not have done it.  And if I hadn't broken free of the stereotypes I was raised with about what my role in life was going to be, I might have tried.  At best, I would have been unhappy and had unhappy children.  At worst, I might have suffered even more serious depression than I already have and who knows?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And they weren't suffering from severe psychosis either, I'd be willing to bet. Different people react to similiar situations in vastly different ways.

My aunt had to be committed after her last child was born when she tried to kill herself (stay-at-home mom, 4 kids). She had a very severe case of post-partrum (sp?) depression. She never tried to kill them, but I'm willing to bet that had she not been committed and treated early on, they would have been in danger.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

They really need a verdict "Guilty, but mentally ill," where Yates would spend time in a psychiatric prison until she is "better" and then spends the rest of her days in prison.

10. smp

smp New Member

I'm not passionately defending a woman who systematically murders her children, but some of the comments on this thread about motherhood (and I'm assuming they're coming from men) are disturbing. You pop out five kids a year apart, live in a trailer for a bulk of that time, have documented mental breakdowns, are medicated and warned by doctors not to have anymore children ... and your sweet ol' hubby keeps the religious nuts around and keeps on knocking you up ... and some people on this board act like that should be par for the course for women. Walk it off, it'll be fine ... are you kidding me? With Andrea Yates, it was clear she needed help, but the people around her either didn't care or ignored the signs. They're just as responsible as she is. And anyone who thinks women should suffer through any sort of post-partum depression or other motherhood-related issues in silence or just toughen up should sign up for some treatment right along with Yates.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think they do in some states.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's been a hot topic since John Hinckley. But it's gonna be a long, long time until Yates sees the outside of a loony bin.

Draft saved Draft deleted