1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yates not guilty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DyePack, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course if the defendant was Andrew Yates he would have gotten death even if he'd showed up in court dressed like Napoleon and carried on a conversation with his invisible pet hedgehog during the trial.

2. Once, when he was covering the Scarsdale Diet Doctor murder trial, the great Murray Kempton was asked why he thought Jean Harris, who was pleading similiar impairment to Andrea's here, should go to the slam."

"She lost me," Kempton said, "after the fourth bullet."
    Well, Andrea lost me after the third kid.

And AQB, maybe, maybe not. After all, hubby was big with Jeebus, too.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Rusty Yates is a fucking moron. His ex-wife murdered their children and "The jury looked past what happened and looked at why it happened." WTF is that all about? Some justice system we have...

And how can he remain "friends" with her after going through all this? This guy needs to be thrown into the asylum as well.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Because she already killed the ones she was a danger to.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I'd hit it....

...over the head with a baseball bat about 40 times.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Only 40? :D

7. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: June 26, 2006
    Mental health advocates and defense lawyers hope the public's attitude about mentally ill defendants has changed since Andrea Yates drowned her five children.

Priceless

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Yeah, that we all know now that it's the crutch the defense attorney goes for first.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Every time I hear Rusty Yates talk, I become more and more convinced that he doesn't care about his childrens' suffering. I keep meaning to look into the type of Fundamentalist Christianity that the Yates' practiced/believe in. I may be super off-base here, but I recall having read somewhere about the kids not being of the "age of reason" at the times of their deaths and therefore, that made their deaths somehow less tragic/important. Rusty's responses to questions and detachment from what his wife did to his children has always been off to me.

At some point during the first trial, Rusty said that what the prosecution did to Andrea was the worst thing he'd ever seen in his life. One of the pundits remarked that most people would consider seeing the coffins of his five children the worst thing he'd seen.

Yeah, you know your wife has mental problems, so you make her live in a bus and home school your five kids. ???

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Fucking Fredo.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

So, according to these people, these kids' lives were worth less than a fetus?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Something like that. When I get a minute, I'll try to do some research on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted