1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yasiel Puig: All-Star?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 2, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know we have the running thread going on, but figured this could be a branch-out topic.

Does Yasiel Puig deserve to be an All-Star this summer? He's hitting .436 with seven homers and 16 RBIs in 26 games since being called up a month ago.

Jonathan Papelbon doesn't think so, saying "it's an absolute joke" in an interview on MLB Network Radio.

I'm on the fence about it. The numbers are impressive, no doubt, but he's only been in the league for a month. What say you? Is Puig deserving of a spot on the team?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Not really. But if enough players beg off because of "injury" combined with the fact that home field advantage in the World Series is at stake, then if he gives the team a better chance to win than other players, you have to consider it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell, I say let's put him in the Hall of Fame already.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not over Nick Punto.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think it was MLB Network that said that the only other person who did what Puig has done through 100 ABs slash first month of his MLB career was DiMaggio. He played in the ASG.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

1. Is it a cool story? Yes.
    2. Would it get ratings galore? Yes.
    3. Does he deserve to be in the All-Star Game? No.
    4. Will he be in the All-Star Game? Yes.

For numbers 1 and 2 alone.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Under almost any circumstances I would be in the "hell no" camp, but the fucker is hitting .436. The Dodgers are 15-11 with him and 23-32 without him.

Whoever that last guy is instead of him hasn't had a quarter of the impact Puig has already.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Does he deserve to be? Of course.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Through his first 126 at-bats in 1936, DiMaggio was batting .381 with four homers and 28 RBIs.

http://beyondthescorecard.blogspot.com/2013/07/yasiel-puig-fuller-perspective.html

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I love the story. I still think he will be in the ASG. I just don't think he should be in the ASG because June was beddy beddy good to him.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The DiMaggio comparison doesn't really work because he was competing against 24 other outfielders to be an all-star. Puig is one of 45.

Also, DiMaggio had two month's worth of production going into the All-Star Game in 1936. Puig is at a month.

I don't think he deserves it, because there are enough worthy candidates at his position -- Cuddyer, the Carloses Gomez and Gonzalez, McCutchen, Beltran, Dom Brown, Bruce. But they will put him in the online fan voting and he will make it.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It will be fun to revisit this after Bochy gives a spot to Hunter Pence (.283/13/42 and a series of inspirational speeches last October).

Draft saved Draft deleted