1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yao done?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

This doesn't look good. Yahoo reporting Yao likely out all of next season and his career might be in jeopardy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-yaorockets062909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

That's too bad for him. When healthy, he's a great player. It's too bad his country never gave him a summer off, even when doctors called for it. Hopefully he'll recover from this and be able to at least play a few more seasons.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Of all the people for this to happen to, I really like Yao. Seems like a great guy.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct, DO. It was that nice guy which contributed to his desire to play for China and not give his body some time off to heal.

It's a shame, and Woj is right in that the Rockets are up the creek. Yao is breaking down physically, and Tracy McGrady has been a human heart donor for years, hence why the Rockets are being offered nothing but bad contracts.

Sad for the Rockets, and sadder still for Yao.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That's rough. Sorry to hear it.
    Two main reasons I liked this kid: the documentary that followed his first NBA season "Year of the Yao," showed him to be a good guy, very humble and a team-player; and that "Yo! No, Yao!" commercial (tho, now I don't remember what the product was...) which showed he had a sense of humor, too.
    Hope this isn't the end for him.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, man. I forgot about that commercial. That was great.

Tough luck for Yao. Boy, the Rockets are really gonna suck.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I think it was a debit card commercial. The dude kept pointing to the "no checks" sign, if I remember correctly.

"Yo"
    "--Gi"

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

10. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Man, the Rockets are in bad shape right now. They pretty much confirmed the story today by "waiting for further details", and the Chronicle had a story that a team doctor said his foot has actually gotten worse since the surgery.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. I like Yao. maybe if he takes next season off to heal, he can come back.

I don't blame him for playing the Olympics. That was sooooo important, not only to him, but an entire nation. Yao is a mega star in China. He could never skip an Olympics in Beijing. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Arguably bigger than anything he'll ever do in the NBA. But the timing was unfortunate.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yao's total class.
    Good luck in your recovery, man.

Draft saved Draft deleted