1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankton (S.D.) Looking For Asst. Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JamesCimburek, May 2, 2022.

1. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

The Yankton (S.D.) Press & Dakotan, a five-day-a-week daily newspaper, is seeking applicants for a full-time assistant sports editor.

The position will aid in covering a dynamic sports market that features an NCAA Division I college athletic program, national and international competitions in archery, as well as over 30 high school programs. The successful applicant will assist in the direction and completion of sports coverage, and assist with news coverage as needed.

Strong writing skills and sports knowledge are needed. Social media, page design, photography and video skills are a plus.

We offer an excellent benefits plan, including employee and family health insurance, paid holidays, paid time off and more.

To apply or for more details, contact Sports Editor James D. Cimburek, Yankton, SD 57078; call (605) 665-7811, ext. 106; or e-mail james.cimburek@yankton.net.

----

From JDC: This is a great opportunity for someone looking to build a resume. We are in a "unique" market, with three different radio ownership groups and two newspapers in a city of 15,000.

We are home to the world's largest indoor archery range, making it a destination for Olympians and future Olympians to train. Besides covering the University of South Dakota, which is 25 miles away, we cover a NAIA school in town and high schools in two states.

We are a locally-owned paper, so our staff size has stayed the same for several years. Three of the six full-time reporters between news and sports have more than 30 years of experience, giving a potential applicant some great resources to learn from.

Yankton is located near Lewis & Clark Lake and on the banks of the Missouri River. If you like to fish, boat or golf (two courses in town, several others within 50 miles) in your free time, Yankton is a good place to check out.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Having cover from staff veterans will definitely make it easier being the "newbie" in a market rich in incumbent coverage. I speak from experience (admittedly larger than Yankton).

But my experience is also that keeping up with two different state athletic organizations is a pain in the ass. I had to do it for more than 15 years.

3. CuppaJoe2222

CuppaJoe2222 New Member

You chose to do it for 15 years. You didn't HAVE to.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You’re definitely not hired.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted