1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yanks give it to Girardi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 29, 2007.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

So sayeth ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085167

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Why would you give ESPN credit when every paper in the Metropolitan area that I read this morning had it pretty much locked up? Be fair.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Because this is the first place I've seen the details of his contract and that they've told Mattingly and Pena thanks but no thanks?

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

ESPN Radio just said that Girardi's agent has confirmed the job has been offered to his client.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So the Yanks have effectively pissed off Mattingly. What does he do? Go home and wait for managing job?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What the hell has Mattingly done to ever deserve one, aside from being an above average first baseman on an average team for a bunch of years?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He was a smart player, the Yanks' hitting instructor and a bench coach.

What did Girardi ever do to deserve being named manager of the Marlins? He was catcher, then a bench coach.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's been pretty indistinguishable as a coach. Seems he's lucky that the Yankees decided to let him keep wearing his uniform and grow his sideburns out, and that should be enough. But it seems like he was hired to simply be the next manager someday, like it was pre-ordained. If you ask me, maybe he can be the next Johnny Pesky.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Why would you want to make rookie managing mistakes on the big stage in New York? Mattingly should get a minor-league job and gain some experience before he takes on a big-league managing job.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mattingly! Shave those sideburns!

*Still better than Steinbrenner...*

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems like they were just waiting until the World Series was over, unlike Boras and Rodriguez, who decided to make their announcement during Game 4.

Maybe that is why Boras chose that timing, to steal the headlines the morning before the Yankees hire their manager.

I wonder if the prospect of losing Rodriguez was one reason to go with Girardi. The Yankees are facing the possibility of having a significantly weaker team and I wonder if the Mattingly supporters in the organization wanted to avoid throwing him into that fire.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If I'm Mattingly, I walk. This team's going to turn into a circus... and that ain't a good thing, trust me... lol

Draft saved Draft deleted