1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yanks get Mo's successor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jan 13, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Run, dickhead! Run!

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/brian_cashman_didnt_want_rafael_soriano/3979314

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Typical blog rant with no sourcing or anything substantial.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't read the link, but Cashman said he didn't want to give up the pick for him, and others (the Post & ESPN) have reported that the Steinbrenner brothers & Randy Levine made the decision to sign him.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Cashman would prefer having the 31st pick in the draft to paying for an established closer to succeed Rivera, he probably should be fired.

6. Herbert Anchovy

The old Steinbrenner teams used to do relief pitching on the cheap.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Has anyone noted the possibility this could up a bad signing b/c a.) Rivera never ages and b.) Soriano is no spring chicken (32 this year, I think)? It's entirely possible that Rivera has one more great year, tails off in 2012 (i.e. has an ERA around 2.50) and retires and that Soriano is toast at the start of 2013.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Definitely possible, but it is the kind of risk they can afford to take.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Meh. If he sucks they'll just trade him to the Pirates and eat his salary. [/total dickhead]

10. Herbert Anchovy

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110118/COLUMNISTS0306/101180329/1065/SPORTS/Peter+Kerasotis++Rays+feel+the+sting+of+brutal+offseason

11. btm

btm Member

As a Pirate fan (yeah, I know), I love seeing middle relievers get about 12 million a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted