1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees to retire Jeter's #2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by manky_jimy, Dec 11, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The announcement says that in addition to his number being retired, a plaque will also be unveiled in Monument Park.

I won't be surprised if they actually surprise him and unveil a fourth monument.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The sad thing is that if they do that, his dinky monument will still be dwarfed by that Godzilla-sized homage to George Steinbrenner they stuck in there.

I was trying to figure out how I feel about what you suggested. You have Miller Huggins, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle. ... oh, and Steinbrennercollasus. In the case of Dimaggio and Mantle, they originally got plaques and were elevated to monuments in the 90s. If Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio and Mantle are the standards for Yankees with monuments, I personally put Jeter there.

3. YankeeFan

I guess I had forgotten that they added to the original three.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but it makes it more appropriate for Jeter that they did do it. If it's Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig being the players with monuments, it is really difficult -- regardless of who it is -- to put a contemporary human with them. The fact that Dimaggio and Mantle are there already, makes it feel more acceptable to me. I have no idea that they will do that, but to me at least, he is in that class.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think that would be OK if they do. He's pretty iconic.

6. YankeeFan

The Yankees need a living legend.

Jeter wasn't a power hitter, but as a captain, WS champ, All-Star short top, Hall of Famer (eventually), and career Yankee, with a long career, and 3,000 hits, he qualifies.

The Yankees will keep him and Rivera in the fold to be icons for another generation.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, this summer I was at Siro's, the restaurant adjacent to the track at Saratoga that's only open during the meet. It's basically a New York City steakhouse (complete with NYC prices and customers) summer camp. At the bar, they had posters for some charity event being held there where Rivera was prime attraction. A grand a ticket.

8. YankeeFan

The Yankees did an incredible job of keeping guys like DiMaggio, Mantle, Ford, Berra, and Rizzuto relevant to a generation of fans who never saw them play.

They will do the same with Jeter and Rivera.

It reinforces the brand message that the Yankees want to communicate.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, Derek Jeter's monument standing right next to George's monument announcing he has another monument!

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can hear Suzy saying that.

Draft saved Draft deleted