1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees to charge for Internet access at new stadium?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zebracoy, Dec 12, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So that's how they plan to fund these ridiculous contracts. From the Daily News:

I've always found it inconvenient to be on assignment in New York, whether it be at the old Yankee Stadium or at Madison Square Garden, and have to purchase things that I take for granted elsewhere - mostly because I rarely carry cash.

This is just what newspapers need - to foot the bill for something they, in all likelihood, can't pay for. Here's to hoping that they don't go NCAA on everyone and confiscate aircards.

2. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

When did the NCAA confiscate aircards?

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

tell me you can still get $1 Haagen Daas bars in the pressroom at least.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

First asking Milwaukee to foot the bill for Mike Cameron and now this. Pity the financially strapped Yankees.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Charge all you want for pressbox food; it's not reasonable to expect teams to give the press dinner. But don't be dicks and charge for wireless internet.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Do they charge for a phone line?

If not, then I'd file the "old" fashioned way.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Dallas Mavericks did a couple years ago until the NBA made them stop.

8. there are no phone lines anywhere anymore

a thing of the distant past

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's odd to offer an in-pressbox concession where everything is a buck and then charge for wireless. That was more my point.

That, and ice cream is yummy.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Actually, Dan Snyder started this trend at FedEx Field. I seem to remember the 'Skins charging for wireless access and phone lines last season.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I was not a happy camper when I covered Indiana-Gonzaga at Lucas Oil Stadium and discovered it cost 12.99 for internet access. Internet access is probably the most vital tool we need to do research, file stories, etc. I got around it at Lucas Oil by typing my story on my laptop, connecting my phone to my laptop, uploading the story to my phone and e-mailing it from my phone.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So now teams are putting their media guides online instead of printing hard copies, and they also want to charge for Internet access at games?

Draft saved Draft deleted