1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees curses?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If you had bothered to mention that in the post that began this thread, maybe some of us wouldn't have made snap judgments by reading the text you put in the quote box, thinking we've already read enough.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Aren't snap judgements better known as assumptions?

I figured if I mentioned the curse of Mussina and the curse of A-Rod someone would have clicked on the link to see what those were about.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, I figure if I've read two or three graphs on the Yanks or Sox, that's more than enough for me. Because I have to prepare for another six months of it.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And six months of Yankees-Red Sox talk is bad how?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because if you're not a fan of either team, it's the most overplayed rivalry going on the WWL. And there's no escaping it.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hmm. Is this the historical perspective thread again? ::)

Maybe you mean since 1998. Because while it's true that the O's steadily lost steam for the five years after their title in '83, culminating in that awful 0-21 start in '88, they were pretty good for most of the 1990s.

Came thiiiis close to winning the AL East under Frank Robby in 1989, when they went 87-75. They had a 89- and 85-win seasons in '92 and '93 under Johnny Oates. Davey Johnson got them into the ALCS twice in '96 and '97 -- they should've won the first one if not for that stupid kid and Richie Garcia. Hell, probably should've won the second one, too (hugely favored over an 86-75 Indians team.)

And of course, Baltimore is the only team to win the AL East in the last 10 years, other than the Yankees.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

From the standpoint of playing in Wrold Series, the O's have been shutout since '83. I'd say more than half the teams in baseball have played a World Series game since '83. That's historical perspective.
    As far as curse.
    Since firing the Manager of The Year, Davy Johnson, the Orioles haven't had a winning season. The Curse of Davy Johnson.
    We'll see how long the Marlins go after firing the Manager Of The Year.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And you'd be right. 21 different franchises have been to the Series since 1983.

But Bubbler wasn't talking about World Series. He was talking about sucking -- the Brewers haven't had a winning season since 1992.

The Orioles haven't sucked since 1983. So you're wrong.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting fact. And this changes things how? Regardless of who put forward the theory, the fact that there's even a theory out there is ridiculous.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Changes things in that it was a Red Sox fan proposing the theory not an arrogant, stupid Yankees fan complaining about not having won the series since 2000

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If 8 winning seasons(2 of those '84 & '85), 2 post season appearances and zero WS appearances in 23 years isn't sucking then it blows.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pirates have that beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted