1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees curses?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 28, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17305108&BRD=1713&PAG=461&dept_id=24490&rfi=6

Story also mentions the "Curse of Mike Mussina" and the "Curse of A-Rod"

I'm a Yankees fan and I'm undecided on whether I believe in the Curse of Mattingly or not.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Curse of A-Rod spans every team he is employed by, not just the Yankees.

And I will defend Mattingly in that:

a) it didn't help that their pitching didn't match their offense (Dennis Rasmussen anyone?);

b) the strike ended the 1994 season with the Yankees 6 1/2 games up on the Orioles in the AL East, ending Mattingly's best shot at a pennant;

c) Mattingly batted .417 in his only postseason series in 1995;

d) Steinbrenner spent the entire 80s trying to buy a pennant and didn't win one until homegrown guys like Jeter came up (which, magically, happened during Steinbrenner's suspension from baseball, go figure).

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not sure why a franchise with four World Series titles since 1996 would feel any sort of curse. All coincidence.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The idea of a curse is so patently, undeniably stupid.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Only Yankees fans would feel a "curse" after not having won a title in less than a decade. ::) No sympathies at all.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because arrogant stupid Yankees fans (ooops, doubly-redundant) have to whine about not winning the World Series EVERY year...

kinda the reverse of Cleveland loosers whining over their teams sucking forever ;D

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As long as the Yankees fans are recognized as arrogant and stupid, I'm cool with that. :)

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since 1992, the Brewers have suffered from the Suck Curse.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's been since 1983 that the Baltimore Orioles have suffered from that curse, but as long as peter "the anti-christ" angelos owns the Orioles, that streak will continue.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I curse the Yankees every day. Several times on Thursdays.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

At least they've finished with a .500 record since then, unlike the Pirates.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If anyone had bothered to click on the link you would have seen the story was written by a Pawtuckett Times Red Sox writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted