1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Michael Kay was good on the radio. The Mets have had excellent radio broadcasters over the years. They are entertaining, but the game comes first.

Sterling is all about the shtick and Waldman is an abomination.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Me too and add in Bobby Murcer in later years. All baseball guys that did not grate on you.

Honestly did not mind the Sterling / Kay combo when they alternated innings. In '96 it seemed like Kay got a lot of the
    important HR calls ( it is high it is far it is gone)

Sterling / Waldman are a complete assault on the senses.

Quality baseball on the radio should not grate. It should be the perfect compliment to sitting on the porch on a warm summer evening.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As as for how old he is?

One man's opinion: I'll take over 72 for the limit . . . and much like too many of his game descriptions, "Sterling"'s personal word on this is anything but the end of the discussion.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. That was greatness.

I remember hating Sterling in his Atlanta days, both on the Braves and the Hawks. The worst part was when he did Hawks games he'd call the players by their nicknames almost all the time. So if you were a casual fan and didn't know that Kevin Willis, for example, was "Fresh" or Cliff Levingston was "House," you'd have no idea what was going on.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

[quote author=Ben_Hecht ]link=topic=70487.msg3161727#msg3161727 date=1317824301]
    As as for how old he is?

One man's opinion: I'll take over 72 for the limit

[/quote]

too bad nobody calls me to answer what's become this 'age-old' question in the n.y. media world. i know for a FACT the dude is an astounding 74! a remarkably fit, age-defying 74...

how can i be sure? i was a 15-year-old h.s. junior in oct. '72, when i interviewed sterling for my h.s. newspaper. he was the all-sports-talk radio king of new york back then. and john had no problem 'fessing up to being 35. so, do the math, folks -- 35 plus 39 years later = 74, right?

sorry to blow your cover, john. heck, if i look as fit as he is when i'm 74, handling his work/travel sked, i'd be shouting it off the rooftops.

so y'all give grandpa a break, will ya? (so what is he's an insufferable, egomaniacal old fart

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

In case any of the journalism kids are here:

Someone saying they are a certain age doesn't make it a fact.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One other thing about John Sterling: That's not his actual name. Wikipedia has it as John Sloss, and other people claim it's Harold Moskowitz.

I'd be interested to find out why he changed it, if it was due to prejudice, or if he just decided it wasn't a good name for radio.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, most will have no reason to out-right lie until they're about 50. women, perhaps younger. but unless you do it from the get-go it's pretty hard to fudge it. john hasn't 'lied' about his age. he's just chosen to keep it under wraps since he became a 'big deal' towards the end of his career. i'm sure out of the paranoia of on-air media types; though i always thought that was more of a concern for tv personalities, not radio geeks.

but i suppose all of us have cause to be paranoid once we've hit 40.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

not at all unusual for broadcasters of his era to change their names to something generic.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would move Kay back to radio, dump Waldman and let rest of Yes team do TV. Singleton/ Cone / O'Neal/ Flaherty/ Martinez.

Maybe use Jack Curry or Kim Jones as Kay sidekick.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I'd think it might be an interesting story, should Sterling have been willing to reveal why. Maybe a radio guy told him to change it to avoid prejudice, or maybe he changed it before he went into radio because of some incident. Not to mention, how he came up with the name. Was it his idea, or someone else's?

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

why would kay EVER do that? he's in the best-paying, most schedule-friendly, best-paying pbp position in his business. nobody doing radio pbo is striving to get back to radio.

the yanks don't seem capable of doing it, but they'd be best served to search for the best young pbp voice they can find. heck, ease him in -- let sterling do the middle three innings if he'd like. or let him take over waldman's role. he's as 'qualified' as she is to give 'color.'

the sidekick means squat. just give fans a pbp who can paint something resembling an accurate account of what's going on as it's happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted