1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This never gets old:

It's the only thing that keeps me in stitches while reading someone rip King John and Georgie Girl. ;D

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dam that's funny. If I didn't know better I would think that was someone imitating Waldman. What an utter embarrassment to sports broadcasters everywhere.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

What's an "embarisment?"

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Waldman was embarrassing, but those guys suck. Is that what passes for sports radio there? I have to stop complaining about some of the garbage I get here in NY.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Times profile:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/sports/baseball/voice-of-yankees-draws-high-ratings-and-several-critics.html?hpw=&pagewanted=all

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

No "The Grandy-man can" references?

7. YankeeFan

Gotta read to the end:

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll listen to the Mets if I have a choice when driving.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was a good piece. He almost comes off as a likable guy. Would have been nice if Pennington got Charley Steiner's thoughts on how much he liked dealing w/Sterling, who bolted into the booth after Aaron Boone's homer in Game 7 in 2003 to scream his standard bullshit. I did like Torre, who hates Kay, describing himself as a confidant of Sterling, Makes me wonder how well Sterling and Kay got along.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Meanwhile, I've got a good buddy of mine who can wake up, fall out of bed and sound better than 75% of the p-b-p guys out there -- including Theeeeeeee Mr. Sterling. And he can't get out of A-ball/minor-league hockey.

11. YankeeFan

He seemed more pathetic than likable. I felt a little bad for him after reading it, but I didn't really like him any more.

Was surprised by the "confidant" tag too. I've never felt like Sterling had any insight into Torre's thinking.

I always felt like Sterling drove Kay nuts. No evidence for it though.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just read. Very complementary to Sterling. For such a long story though surprised that there were no quotes from Michael Kay/ Charlie Steiner/ Suzyn Waldman.

As the Yankees continued winning Sterling seemed to become more pompous.

Team does him no favors by selling ad space for everything.
    Listeners are assaulted by a barrage of sponsors.

Having Waldman as his sidekick does not help him either.

Draft saved Draft deleted