1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, arnold. sterling/yankees ain't exactly scully/dodgers.

there are ZERO yankees fans i know -- and i know many -- who don't think of the team's radio team as a dreadful joke and a slap in the face. it is truly amazing that an organization intent on buying the best talent it can continues to let sterling/waldman be their radio voices.

but sadly there is no apparent end in sight. thank goodness every game is televised; lord knows i'm no fan of the team's television voices, either, but at least i can enjoy the action with the mute button handy. when stuck in the car, sterling/waldman have me held hostage, sadly. :( :( :(

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

C'mon, nobody's held "hostage". Get a cell phone, subscribe to MLB Gameday Radio for $5/month (or, better yet, the iPhone with the MLB app), put on the other team's broadcast. No more Sterling/Waldman for Yankees games. Easy, peasy.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did Sterling/Waldman just start to suck? I thought they've always been a joke.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well-played, Doc

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Good call, buck.

The MLB iPhone app might be the best $10 I've spent all year.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

But Sterling knows how to shill for the Yankees, he knows how to read every commercial perfectly, how to drop sponsors names all over the place.
    It does not matter to the Steinbrenners that he is the worst fucking baseball announcer in the history of the game.
    As long as he can end every half inning by saying "You're listening to the Yankees radio network ... DRIVEN BY JEEP" and tell you in the next half inning that "We are coming to you from THE LOEWS BROADCAST BOOTH. LOEWS, LET'S BUILD SOMETHING TOGETHER," his pal Lon Trost is happy.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember hearing the guy for the first time in 1995 or so and wondering if this was really what the announcer of the world's richest baseball team in the nation's No. 1 media market was supposed to sound like.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you think about it there is not an broadcast team around that garners this much criticism and ridicule as Sterling /Waldman.

All is well deserved. God do they suck.

Baseball on the radio is one of the great pleasures in life on a summer Suday afternoon but not with those two.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would like to see Loews "build something together" with me as much as I'd love to go to Lowe's to watch movies...

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My God Boom and I agree on something .... I'm gettin' nervous.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have no desire to subscribe to Boom's goddamn newsletter, but must give him points here, given that he's actually able to see through his pinstriped glasses and label Wheeler and Woolsey for what they are.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Sterling has a certain popularity among the Yankee mouth-breathers. You'd be hard-pressed to find any who thinks Waldman does a great job.

Draft saved Draft deleted