1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He and Waldman have NEVER called him Robinson Cano, it is always their pet nickname for him -- Robbie.
    Same goes for Posada -- it's never Jorge (Hor-hay), it's always Georgie.
    I hate the fact that I can't listen to Yankees games on the radio and when I do listen I'm likely to hear a call from Sterling that will go "It is high, it is far, (pause) it is caught at the wall"

2. dmc

dmc Guest

But without her we would have no way of knowing what was happening on the field. I use to knock her but she really does make an effort during the game to explain/correct what sterling just said. She is pretty smooth about it, I wonder if he even notices.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio,
    A nation turns its lonely eyes to you,
    Woo, woo, woo
    What's that you say, Mr. Sterling
    Just shut the hell up and go away
    hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

LEAVE JOE TORRE ALONE!

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Nice shot at YES, calling it "Al Yankzeera."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Raissman has called it that since Day 1.
    Also calls Sterling Jam Master Johnny and Waldman is Georgie Girl.

7. No, he's always sucked out loud. I remember him during his days calling Braves and Hawks games on TBS, and he was just as obnoxious then.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Of all the ironic things I've ever seen...

Hideki Matsui dropping A-bombs, tough break for Sterling considering the WWII connotations.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I can understand misjudging a HR ball, but how do you have the wrong guy hitting it? It's not like players change on the fly like hockey.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Hiroshima 2: The Revenge!"

Coming to an industrial city near you, August 6

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Eternally amazing that an organization that knows no (financial, at least) limits in trying to hire the best on the field is so unwilling to change such an awful broadcast situation. It's like wrapping an expensive gift in the Sunday comics.

Do they think there will be "Save Sterling/Waldman" riots in the streets? Some traditions you have to tiptoe around, but this doesn't seem like one of them.

12. KP

KP Active Member

The thing about is that he had Matsui rounding the bases and everything and then decided to drop the A-bomb line.

Draft saved Draft deleted