1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankees announcer John Sterling gets skewered (again)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not that he doesn't deserve it, of course.

This time it's Bob Raissman's turn:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/06/05/2009-06-05_sterling_effort_abomb.html

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't listen to a lot of Yankees games, but I caught a few last summer when they were playing the Angels and I was listening on XM. I thought the little script that Suzyn Waldman has to read when introducing him was kind of forced praise though.

3. Sterling's THE most annoying broadcaster I've ever heard.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Says a lot considering who his partner is...

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Bob Raissman comes out swinging, as usual.

Yeah, Sterling sucks, and then you factor in the Suzyn Waldman quotient ...

"Goodness gracious."

I love the Yankees, but this radio team blows.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Never having heard of this clown Sterling until recently, was he always this bad or is he just getting terrible with age?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's a hell of a 'stache on Raissman.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

He's an interesting kind of cat, IJAG. Different, to say the least.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Way to lay it to the tarnished one! Sterling has long been awful.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I have XM radio and listen to about every broadcasting team, and I have to say that Sterling and Waldman are the worst by a country mile. Sterling is just a cheeseball who has these forced home run calls that just suck. When he gives the "Ohh, you're on the Mark, Teixeira" or "Tex message" or "Robinson Cano, dontcha know?", I am truly embarrassed for him. It's uncomfortable radio. Dont' even get me started on Waldman. "Of all the dramatic things!"

For my money, the legends are super: Vin Scully, Bob Uecker, Jon Miller, Denny Matthews when he's not about to fall asleep. I like Ted Leitner in San Diego, too, as well as the Cleveland guy who gets really excited a lot (can't think of his name).

But Sterling/Waldman just make me uncomfortable. I remember once Sterling going absolutely apeshit about a Xavier Nady home run, only to find out after he crossed home plate that it wasn't Nady. Xavier was coming up to bat.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just think how horrifying it would be if he did TV.

The mind boggles.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Shaggy: The guy here in Cleveland you're talking about is Tom Hamilton.

I remember back in the day when Sterling was still doing radio for the Atlanta Hawks and they came to the Coliseum in Richfield for a game. When Sterling realized he was going to be doing the play-by-play from halfway up the arena bowl (where everyone is seated, these days), he got his panties all in a bunch and threw a hissy, which, of course, us ink-stained wretches thoroughly enjoyed.

His tantrum was so bad that some Cleveland fans seated nearby repeatedly yelled, "Sterling, you SUCK!" continuously throughout his broadcast.

When he moved on to New York, it seemed quite appropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted