1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Ticket License?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

All of a sudden the Yankees have worked new wording into their ticket agreements. Ticket plans are now called license plans.

Let me take a wild guess and say that the Yankees are on their way to screwing season ticket holders into buying PSL"S when new stadium opens.

Surprised this has not hit NY tabs yet. Here is verbage on Yankee site:

With just two seasons left to enjoy the present Stadium, now is the perfect time to become a Yankees Ticket Licensee. The Yankees are currently accepting deposits for 2007 Season Tickets License Plans, both of which offer preferred pricing advantages, access to great seat locations, regular season and postseason pre-onsale rights, postseason priority* and many other account holder amenities.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You didnt see this coming? Season ticket drones are going to get hit hard for this billion-dollar tribute to Steinbrenner...

Oh. I mean the billion-dollar stadium, not the payroll..

3. Boom_70

I've seen it coming for a while hence why I have been watching for subtle change to how Yankees handle ticket sales.

My gut is that when this story hits critical mass the Yankees will have real PR problem.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But when will that be? When the postseason failure dies down? When Steinbrenner defends it when he says he needs the money to compete?

5. Boom_70

Maybe soon if some pol running in NOV elections gets a hold off idea that Yankees are screwing general public after using state funding.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I believe Steinbrenner is funding the new stadium. State might be kicking in for roads, but really, there's no way New Yorkers can complain. That team certainly brings enough money into the city to make up for the cost of having better infrastructure that will help the surrounding community as well.

Considering what most other owners are doing to taxpayers, well, George is looking awfully good with the new stadium.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/nyybpk.htm

Of course, the New Yankee Stadium will be another HOK cookiecutter.

Everybody is so enthralled to get rid of the Veterans/Three Rivers/Riverfront/Busch II/Fulton County generation of ashtray stadiums, hardly anybody seems to have noticed the new generation is almost all completely built off the same blueprints, with some teeny-weeny variations in fence distances, seat colors, and upper deck roof trim details.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

I dunno ... I think the plans for the new Yankee Stadium look pretty cool.

As for the new retro-ballparks, the only ones that don't do anything for me are the ones in Atlanta, Cincy and Philly. Every place else seems to have characteristics that make it unique.

Starman, do you want a park designed by Liebeskind or Gehry?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Y.M. Berg... if for nothing else, than to honor Mickey Mantle [/obscure Wings reference]

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

New Yankee looks exactly like Comerica, PNC, New Busch, GABP, etc. etc. etc. It's like HOK has one blueprint entitled "Baseball Stadium," and just slaps it down everywhere they go.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Ticket license thing portends that the Yankees, like most top professional teams, now want a cut of the after market seat sales. The ticket broker Web sites will be the big losers because the Yankees -- probably all MLB teams -- will prohibit reselling the seats on sites other than their own as part of the license agreement.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Heaven help me, that was the first thing I thought of too. Poor Joe and Helen had to buy a prefab Nor'Easter home from the funny pages.

IT'S A SEVEN!

Draft saved Draft deleted