1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Stadium seats/ticket help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 29, 2007.

1. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

2. I just sat in scratch-my-eyes-out traffic this morning on Staten Island, dealt with some more crossing the Verrazzano, and then finally inched along the BQE. I need a place in the city...

But don't stay in Staten Island. Splurge the extra $$$ and get a hotel in Manhattan. That way, when you're stumbling home from the East Village after drinking cheap PBR pitchers, you don't have to sit and wait for the ferry. Avoid the hotels in Times Square. You can find good ones further south, and really good ones off the grid.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I've been told that Hotel Pennsylvania, near Penn Station, is $99 per night. I don't know the quality of it, though.

Do they even sell PBR in the Village? Any hotels down there?

4. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Hotel Pennsylvania isn't all that bad, but you aren't going to get it for 99 unless it's a Sunday night or something. I stayed there about five years ago and paid $125 with four other people in the same room. Wasn't too shabby. Nothing luxurious but it's a hell of a lot better than a hostel, and you are right next to Penn Station.

As for Monument Park, if you really want to see it, take a tour. One of my favorite things to do in a new park is to walk around during batting practice and check out the different views of the park. Unless you enter in the right gate and sprint to the line for Monument Park, you'll be waiting in the line in the concourse for forty minutes before you see the park, and once you're there, they wisk you through.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This guy is right. The ferry is a nice little day-tripper excursion but you don't want to rely on it as your primary mode of transportation in and out of the city on a vacation. It will take you 10-15 minutes to get to the ferry terminal, where you may wait a half an hour for the next ferry, which then takes another half hour-45 minutes to get to South Ferry. From there, it's another 15-minute subway ride to mid-town or 45 minutes to the Bronx and Yankee Stadium. Late at night, the ferry's run less seldom, too. If you're coming to New York on a vacation, stay in New York.

On the other hand, if you stay on SI and bring your clubs, you can play 18 holes at Silver Lake before heading into Manhattan.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

i've stayed at the Hilton in Manhattan for about $100 a night. I just booked through Hotwire.

7. Patriot Saloon, on Chambers St., sells $5 PBR pitchers. Lots of good hotels in the Village too, but more boutique places than the big chains, which are uptown.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Despite what BYH says, I'd go for the bleachers. It really is an experience all to itself. Yeah, the yahoos in the right field seats make Philly sports fans seem tame, but as long as you don't make any sudden movements, have any open wounds or wear ANYTHING that might seem Boston related, you'll be fine. The Roll Call is fun, as is the back-and-forth taunts with the box seats. The LF stands are pretty far away (Death Valley), but you'll also be right on top of both bullpens. If you want actual seats, try for something in the outfield on either field level or upper tier.

And make sure you get there plenty early so you can take a stroll through Monument Park. They close it up a half-hour before the game and there usually is a line to get in (no cost to get in, though).

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'd never used Hotwire to price/book a vacation. I just compared them with Orbitz. Hotwire was more than $200 cheaper than Orbitz for a six-night stay and two round-trip tickets.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Couldn't get that, but I did go the Tier Box MVP route and got tickets in row 13, Section 631 (first-base side, behind the dugout). Thanks, everyone, for all the tips and advice.

I saw the Royals lose at Fenway last season, now I can see them lose at Yankee Stadium!

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re Hotel Pennsylvania: Odds you will be displeased with the temperature controls in your room: 1-3 ON

12. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

I saw the Royals on my one and only trip to Yankee Stadium in 2000, it just happened to be who was in town. Saw a young pitcher I'd never heard of named Blake Stein throw a pretty good game and beat the Bombers on a Wednesday afternoon. Don't remember hearing much about him since, so I assume that must've been pretty much the high point of his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted