1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Stadium seats/ticket help

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Here's the deal, Yankees single-game tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Wednesday. I'm planning on going to a game this summer, but I'm not sure what the best seats for the money are. Are certain seats a great value? Are others overrated at that price?

My first instinct is to just go with the bleachers ($12) or tier reserved seats ($20). My main concern, though, is that unlike Kauffman Stadium, where there's never a bad seat (insert smartass remark here), the action might be too far away or simply be a bad view. So suddenly, I'm looking at tier box seats ($40).

Looking at the views this link provides does help, but I'm sure there are plenty of SportsJournalists.commers who have taken in games there.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

This is going to be my first trip to Yankee Stadium, which had to happen with the new stadium on its way in 2009. Just want to make sure that if this trip to such a historic stadium only happens once, I want to make sure that I do it right.

Thanks.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

do NOT go to the bleachers, unless there's an idiot Oz to whom we've never been exposed. I cannot stress this enough. If you are able to walk without your knuckles scraping the ground, the bleachers are not the place for you.

Tier reserved is actually a pretty good seat...particularly if you can get a seat high up behind home plate. You should be able to see the whole field from there. Try section 602 or 604.

Also make sure to wear a Red Sox hat. :D :D :D

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How about a Royals hat? They wouldn't jump me for supporting a losing cause like the Royals, right? ;D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

They'll take pity on you. Instead of curb stomping your head, they'll just kick you until you've broken every rib. :D :D

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

JDV could probably hook you up through Giambi, whatever.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've only been to one game at The Stadium. Probably the only game I'll get to before they tear it down, but at least I got there once.

April 22, 2001. Yanks-Sox. O'Neill tied it up with a home run off D. Lowe in the bottom of the 10th. Justice hit a walkoff HR two batters later. Sinatra started singing before he rounded second base. 55K went crazy on a Sunday afternoon. Awesome experience.

My ticket says Upper Reserved, Section 14, Row X, Seat 8. I have great, great memories of the stadium, and that game.

I don't think you can go wrong with any section, frankly. But $20 for Tier Reserved is definitely worth it, especially if it's your first and/or only time there.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh look. Mr. Old-Time Baseball went to a game instead of burying his nose in Retrosheet. Whoop de damn do. :D :D :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey I get out plenty! I just take my laptop wherever I go so I can post on SJ!

Whatever. I nail far hotter chicks than any old-time Black Sox player, so whatever.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Also, if you sit in the bleachers, you don't have access to other parts of the stadium.

Really, there's probably not much difference between anything you'll be able to buy on the 'net. I'd say anything between first and third base is all right.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Any seat in that stadium is awesome. It's a cathedral of baseball.

11. tommyp

tommyp Member

The worst seats in the house are high in the upper deck on either side of the foul poles--especially left field--and in the left-centerfield bleachers.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually--and I have never sat there, but I know this to be true anyway--the worst seats are when they open up the far bleachers on the left field side that are behind the flag pole. You might as well try to watch the game from Shea.

Oz, my understanding of tickets is that you are going to probably just have to take what you can get. They open up the pool of single-game seats to people with ticket plans first, and the brokers come in and snatch up most of the seats. It's gotten impossible.

If you do have a choice, my favorite spot is upper deck behind home plate. Good view of everything, and you don't have the problem of not being able to see what is going on if the ball goes into one of the corners.

Hope you enjoy the outing! One little tip... If you take the subway up, it will let you out at 161st and River Ave. If you walk up 161st a little, before heading in, there are bodegas where you can load up on things like peanuts and snacks before you go into the game. You'd be surprised how much you can save by walking an extra 100 yards. They won't let you bring your own drinks in.

I am biased, because I grew up with the Yankees, but it's still my favorite place to see a game. I'll grant that Fenway and Wrigley have more charm--and I love games in both places--but games in the South Bronx are special.

Draft saved Draft deleted