1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Season Ticket Holders Come On Down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 19, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They'll buy them. NY is a weird market. The tickets will all be sold old well before the season. A lot of the buying is by speculators who the last few years have bought up season tickets before tickets go on sale to the general public, and sell them off for individual games for a decent profit. It has been like printing money the last 10 years or so, because the team has been competitive every year, which means people want to go to games--and demand has way ouweighed the supply. The year the Yankees finally underperform, and by August it is clear they won't be making the playoffs, you will have a bunch of sold out games, with people holding overpriced tickets that they can't give away, let alone make a profit on. It hasn't happened yet. When they got off to a bad start this year, I thought this might be the year. But then they turned it around. The last 10 years, one of the best investments anyone could have made were 2 or 4 season tickets. You can essentially eat the weeknight Tampa Bay games and still double your overall investment just on the weekend and premium (Boston, Mets, late-season pennant race) games. If the Yankees finally have a season where they crumble, the lunacy might come to an end. But not until these people buying up the tickets and reselling them have to eat some money instead of making a big profit on their investment.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Right, since Steinbrenner kept them priced in at $125/ticket.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And don't forget that in NYC many - if not most - season box-seats at sporting events are purchased by corporations for business use. They're writing the tickets off as a business/entertainment expense, so cost is not much of an object.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My best friend wants us to go to the All-Star Game. But I'm not sure I want to sell my kidney to go to the game.

I think someone's being sarcastic!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm pretty sure All-Star Game prices are set by MLB, not the host franchise.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Regardless, ticket prices are going to be ungodly; right around the same prices at World Series tickets.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I didn't say he wanted to seat every cab driver. That's just to use to kick the ass off an overpriced A-Rod and other schmucks who can't win a playoff series - much less a World Series.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'll bet, however, you won't hear the juniors using that remark unless they happen to be digging through his personal files one day and think to themselves: "This is convenient."

9. Is anyone ever going to come right out and say whether or not George is too far gone to be part of this or not?
    The speculation -- even Costas alluded to it last night - strikes me as somewhat unfair.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

$125 tickets do not cater toward any cab drivers.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I went to the Stadium this year for one game, for the first time, in a long time.

Sat fairly close to the well-known October-disappearing-act who's patrolling third base.

Ticket was from an associate of a gent who has high, high Yankee connections.

No way I paid.

Seats are wholly unaccessable to the public, and the scalping rates are out of this world.

It's a great deal for the Yankees, and the corporations.

You, little man, can listen to Mr. Mistake and Ms. Oh-My-Gosh on the radio -- and like it.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I went to Game Two of the 2003 World Series with a friend. Got tickets through one of my former employers. Two tickets ran me $350 and we sat field level, on the first base line.

I went to a regular season Yankees-Mets Saturday afternoon game in 2006 with another friend. Sat in the second-to-last row of the left field bleachers. Cost us $100.

Don't tell me Steinbrenner, his sons or Levine care about the average fan. They care about lining the organization's pockets.

Draft saved Draft deleted