1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Politics -- Blown Up For Effect, But Do We Love It Any Less? No.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Wow. I hadn't hadn't ever read that. That's one of the stupidest collection of words I've ever seen.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"There are some jobs in this world that are really, really hard to screw up."

I think George Will uses the exact same phrase to desribe George in Ken Burns' Baseball.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hmm, like someone with the Steelers?

Hey, we all have our biases with our favorite teams, but that doesn't change the fact that that article was a steaming pile of shit.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And I get called out for it just about every time I post something Steelers-related, never mind that I'm happy to rip the team when I think they deserve it. (Examples: James Harrison acting like a thug. Santonio Holmes acting like an idiot.)

I have no objection to saying that article was a steaming pile of shit. I didn't think much of it, either.

I have no patience for Cashman whining about how much more difficult his job is due to the pressure that comes with the resources. There isn't a general manager worth a damn who wouldn't like to see what he could do with a $200 million payroll. Some wouldn't be be willing to deal with the Steinbrenners to get it, but the payroll alone certainly isn't a disadvantage.

My issue was with the immediate jump to try to equate the writer of said "steaming pile of shit" with small market fans, as if they and Red Sox fans are the only ones who would attack Cashman. Hell, I've heard similar crap from Yankee fans. I think it would have been better to just let the writer stand on his own lack of merit without dragging any other group into it.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Taibbi = RSM's pit bull, self-styled "I'm Da Angry Guy Who's Not Ganna Take it No More." A useful creature for journalism in the new frontier. The piece a few weeks back on the Wall Street treasonists was stupendous. This was more suitable for AOL's Fanhouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted