1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Politics -- Blown Up For Effect, But Do We Love It Any Less? No.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 19, 2009.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Taibbi, but if there's a worse sub-genre of journalism than music journalism, it escapes my mind at the moment.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know if this means anything, but the Yankees' two big World Series runs occurred a few years after Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball. Does that mean the Yankees can only build a powerhouse when a Steinbrenner is socked away for a while, not looking over everyone's shoulder? I dunno.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The dirty secret is that the Yankees are run like a business, a very smart one, and are primarily responsible (along with modified revenue sharing) for the industry's astounding economic growth of the the past two decades. They understand the fundamental concept: Putting good players on the field year after year and reinvesting in the product is good for business and helps grow the industry for everybody. Focusing on year-over-year net profit rather than longterm franchise value is the biggest mistake made by franchises, but you're seeing fewer and fewer clubs do that each year.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love the irony in this post.

By the way, though I'm sure you would dismiss me as a "small market fan," I didn't think think much of this column. That doesn't mean there aren't biases in both directions at play on this thread.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Give Steiney points for spending a TON more than anyone else to make the late '70s run happen (though Reggie's effect on any
    team's chemistry is questionable, at best . . ) . . . but it was
    a good thing that George I was restrained from active participation
    when Stick Michael was designing the late '90s powerhouse.
    And there's no denying it.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why? Because I didn't look up who the writer was? My iPhone is cool, but that would've taken too much effort on a phone.

Anyway, the article is even dumber now that I know the guy is a Red Sox fan.

And I wasn't dismissing him because he is a "small market fan", it just read like some of the irrational bitching about the Yankees I read from some small-market fans.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I don't agree with most of this mediocre, overwritten column. This is the same snarky douche who wrote "The 52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope."

But I will forever shake my head and laugh at the people who say the '01-'07 Yankees were a success because they made the playoffs with three shitty teams in their division.

8. cranberry

I'll agree with that and the writing sucked, too.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So you don't dance about architecture?

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Taibbi's a strong politics writer and lately he's been branching out into economic writing with fairly good results. I think this Yankees' piece is less about baseball than it is about how another of the elite institutions of America is being shaken to the core by a business ideology which has failed.

11. cranberry

How the hell did you get that out of it? The Yankees are being shaken to the core by a failed business ideology? Really? I thought they were making money hand over fist and laughing all the way to the bank but we can check easy enough.

This was a bunch of unsubstantiated, falsely premised bullshit that probably took all of 20 minutes to write.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, because you were hunting for biases in the writer's work while your own bias in favor of the Yankees was showing so strongly.

With all due respect, Angola, you do tend to get extremely defensive about all things Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted