1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yankee Politics -- Blown Up For Effect, But Do We Love It Any Less? No.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Apr 19, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sorry, 'Gola, but that is always funny.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Matt Taibbi may have major-league political chops, but he needs to be sent down to Class A Hungry Horse for some seasoning on his baseball chops.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought it was decent read, though I liked Taibbi's take on teabagging more.

I'm of the philosophy that the yeoman-like players, such as Paul O'Neill, Scott Brosius and Jim Leyritz, were the most valuable to the Yankees dynasty of the late 90s. The Yankee teams of late have reminded me too much of the Yankee teams of the mid-80s that seemed more focus on talent rather than team.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

That...that was not very good.

He had some halfway decent points in there, but it had all the depth of a talk radio call.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Spnited,

Considering the drop off in talent between the Yanks and the Orioles, Blue Jays and Rays during those years, they were almost guaranteed a playoff spot each year.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

bingo - Taibbi grew up in Boston.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll take a Steinbrenner who spends and tries to win a championship over a guy who figures a good season is making more money than the year before.

Of course I realize, it's not like the Yankees aren't extremely profitable as it is, but there are, and have been many big market clubs in baseball and other sports that look to the ledger instead of the standings to determine a good season.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

See Mets, NY

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I've long been a Yanks fan, but I thought this passage was priceless:

It’s obscene that a job like this even exists. But for someone to have this job and fuck it up is just appalling, the kind of gross disrespect for our own good fortune that makes it hard for us Americans to look the Third World in the eye. What Brian Cashman has accomplished as GM of the Yankees over the past few years, in turning a perennial World Series champ into a third-place also-ran, is like walking into a backstage party for Led Zeppelin with a two-pound bag of coke and a 28-inch penis and failing for a whole night to get laid.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That wasn't good, but there were some funny passages.

And I find it hard to believe there are people on here who don't know who Matt Taibbi is.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Except for the fact that he's, well, wrong. It's a lot of pretty writing (lipstick) but it says absolutely nothing (pig).

Making the playoffs is not easy. That the Torre/Cashman Yanks were able to do it for so long is a testament to how good (and loaded) they were. But the Yanks under Steinbrenner have missed the playoffs 16 times. That's normal. Doesn't even come close to Cashman has "fucking it up".

Taibbi doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He's trying to say something edgy and inflammatory, but making himself look clueless in the process.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Fixed. Taibbi is an ass who personifies a post-blogging world of look-at-ME!-I'm-always-right-and-snarky-too brand of journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted